Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Discussion in 'audio' started by Bob Edwards, Jun 21, 2021.

1. DCA

DCA pfm Member

I popped in about 3pm and stayed for a good couple of hours. Only 3 of us there plus John and Adrian so quite a relaxed time. Solstice looks much better in the flesh with admirable build quality. Both decks are truly excellent, the Naim sounding slightly darker with lots of drive while the Linn had a more refined, delicate presentation. Agree that the cartridge price differential probably had a part to play in that. I thoroughly enjoyed both but if push came to shove I’d have the Linn. As always at these events heard some excellent new (to me) music which is now on order. Many thanks to the guys at Audio T.

PS Had a good look at your Xerxes Ian, with a guided tour by John. Very impressive deck, I’d forgotten how sexy they are!

Miss Ariel and Whaleblue like this.
  2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Yes, should have put a thanks in for the chaps at Audio-T. Would have stayed longer but had a fixed time parking ticket.

Really looking forward to getting the Xerxes home at some point. John has the replacement bushes now, but the PS might need to go back to Roksan as there’s (probably) a relay which isn’t working 100%. It is a looker though isn’t it?!

DCA likes this.
  3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Fully agree with what you are saying. Ultimately you would need to have a proper listen in your own system. Linn have so many customers who are half way there, a few judicious upgrades, probably 2nd hand, will work out potentially cheaper than p/x against the Solstice.

I had a similar dilemma recently when I listened to a P10, it would have needed to blow me away in order for me to change & it didn’t really. I am probably going to go Karousel/Kore & then stop for another 15 years;)

DCA and Whaleblue like this.
  4. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

I partly agree with you if you don't listen to more than one item. In this case, it was not long until I decided the Linn was the one I preferred. I listened to 4 songs on both decks, which was enough to make an initial decision about which I preferred. If I was going to buy, then I would want to listen to more songs on another occasion before making the final decision, which is something Audio-T in Brighton is happy to facilitate.

Miss Ariel and Mr Pig like this.
  5. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

Both used the phono stage supplied with the turntable, as the LP12 was the latest version of the Klimax, I assume it was the Urika2.

6. HansW

HansW pfm Member

The Urika2 needs a Linn streamer to work and I couldn’t see one in the picture. Hence my question. Perhaps it was the Urika1?

Hans

7. paulbysea

paulbysea pfm Member

I didn't know that, it must have been the Ulrika 1 then. Whichever version of the Ulrika, it sounded really good and if I was able to afford this system as it stood, I would most likely go for the LP12. Maybe with different speakers, such as the Focal speakers Naim now seems to prefer, it might be the other way around.

8. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

Maybe "forced" to prefer as they own Naim.

9. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Darn - didn’t realise Audio T were doing an open day!

10. clownfish

clownfish It's all in the details

"spending twenty years trying to 'fix' my Naim boxes with more boxes" :D

Love it! You are not alone.

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Trade: ^'- -'^

It's kinda amazing that they got the business model to work so well. Although I do think they might have screwed the pooch now with the bonkers price hikes and limited options at the entry level.

clownfish and Miss Ariel like this.