advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Clearaudio make some pretty monsterous looking designs for themselves, which model(s) would this compete with?

…just to let you know, the motor is resiliently mounted in a rubber enclosure to minimize vibration transfer.

OK, so obviously, for accuracy, it's better if the motor is not compliantly mounted but is solidly attached to the same thing as the platter it is driving. Clearly their motor is not quiet enough for them to be able to do this which is surprising as Rega cracked this years ago.

Anyone spending 16 grand on a such a compromised media must be barmy. That is just my humble opinion and no Naim (or otherwise) devotee to vinyl will obviously agree.

Good luck to the company though. Clearly a lot of cash to be made.

Anyone spending 16 grand on a such a compromised media must be barmy. That is just my humble opinion and no Naim (or otherwise) devotee to vinyl will obviously agree.

Oooh, classic troll post! Go on then! It all depends if you are purely a hi-fi fanboi/graph watcher, or whether you actually like listening to music. For many titles vinyl is the *only* option, for countless more it is by far the best as the master tape has decayed or even been lost entirely and the CD/digital has been taken from an x-generation tape copy or even a needle-drop. That is before we even get to terrible remastering decisions, of which there are countless examples so bad they make the music pretty much unlistenable to my ears. Again, people who care about music get this!

Oooh, classic troll post! Go on then! It all depends if you are purely a hi-fi fanboi/graph watcher, or whether you actually like listening to music. For many titles vinyl is the *only* option, for countless more it is by far the best as the master tape has decayed or even been lost entirely and the CD/digital has been taken from an x-generation tape copy or even a needle-drop. That is before we even get to terrible remastering decisions, of which there are countless examples so bad they make the music pretty much unlistenable to my ears. Again, people who care about music get this!

Really? Typical legacy fan boy post.

I don't need to spend that money to enjoy listening to music.

I love the look of it, I just wish I could afford it.

£16k though, when we have great turntables for a third of that? But we do live in a country of massive wealth divide, so you can charge what you want to people with unlimited dollar, so they may as well!

I do wonder if it would actually sound 12grand better than my Gyro SE/SME though...

Good luck to the company though. Clearly a lot of cash to be made.

They will be gone within hours and clever cash-in to come.

In 2022 Naim will release ongoing Solstice decks and all the bits & pieces (tonearm, cartridge, phonostage etc) at hot prices.

Really? Typical legacy fan boy post.

Vinyl still competes with todays best digital media. Out of interest, do you have experience of living with a good record player? I’m fortunate to have good vinyl (LP12) and good digtal (Weiss) and really enjoy both.

They all been pre-ordered by dealers. I didn’t mean to suggest that each is a customer order. One dealer friend has taken 6 and is pretty confident. I hope for his sake he’s right, he’s certainly made the investment!

Of course you don't. And I didn't (my deck was around £1200). But many people spend that and more to get the most from their vinyl.

If you listen to a lot of music from which the only truly high fidelity version is vinyl (and in some genres there is a lot), why not invest in getting the very best from it at a price point one can afford?

£16k though, when we have great turntables for a third of that? But we do live in a country of massive wealth divide, so you can charge what you want to people with unlimited dollar, so they may as well!

I have to admit given what Naim are these days (see Statement range etc) I was surprised it wasn’t a lot more, e.g. twice, three-times. I first saw the pictures best part of a week ago and I had £40k+ in my head.

There is unquestionably a really monied ultra-high-end/oligarchy in the upper reaches of audio these days, e.g. have a look at the kit Michael Fremer (Stereophile) reviews and runs. IIRC he uses a SAT tonearm that costs twice as much as the whole Naim system! Remember for the not inconsiderable money here you do at least get a turntable, arm, cartridge and a Naim phono stage. That almost looks affordable against a SME 20/V (plus cart and phono stage of your choice) etc, and I guess Naim view that sort of product as their competition. How much is the top Linn deck, arm, cart and phono stage?

I’m not saying anything about ‘value’. I’d want to hear it up against some real references (mainly vintage idlers!) before I decided if I even liked or not. I have to admit if I was flinging that type of money around I’d almost certainly end up with a fully restored EMT 930 or something like that. It’s just more where I live.

I don't really like the large platter, however the rest of the deck, arm, cartridge, psu and phono stage look very good and would fit well into a Naim set up, or any other for that matter.

To be honest, even though I have no interest in high vinyl -this is a nice product from Naim at a not too ridiculous price and I think quite a few of their customers will desire (and afford) one.

it’s a product for relatively wealthy music lovers and I presume it may even lead to a less expensive version in the near future it’s hard to believe they would go to all that trouble for 500 sales.

all in all I think Naim have done well with this even though it will not threaten the place of my Rega P3.
.sjb

Jeez, what's with all the negativity. Here you have a successful company based in the UK employing lots of people and giving some people a lot of pleasure via their products and they have launched a new turntable etc. If you're not interested then fine, if, like me, you can't afford it then there are lots of other things you can't afford, but why the snide comments etc? It's all a bit pathetic frankly!

I don’t get the sniping. As someone also has pointed out, other people make expensive decks, too and outsourcing is common. What does Clearaudio’s own top deck cost, for example? I’ll never buy one, that’s for sure but good luck to any manufacturer who makes a quality product and succeeds with it.

But what is a quality product? That rests on how people view and value hardware like this. To some it is a high quality product offering value for money at the price of new car. To others it is a low quality product which equates to nothing like the value of a new car. For those in the latter category what the brand stands for, the marketing, the visuals plugging into the marketing hooks, etc... misses the mark and far from strengthening the appeal of the product tends to detract from it. The product tends to look a bit silly to them which is where the sniping is coming from. It's like a £16k handbag for those that don't get the appeal of branded ultra expensive handbags.

advertisement

Back