advertisement

Naim Solstice officially unveiled . . .

Same idea Mark :)

I did go to Glasgow once, meeting with Strathclyde University on wind turbine health monitoring, some previous incarnation of the Euros were on, I popped in a pub to watch a game near a railway station somewhere, but that is my limit of Glaswegian experience. Definitely Salisbury.

Motor technology sounds interesting, but no mention of price.

obviously being yorkshire should ensure better performance than anything from t’henge.

Does the new cartridge not have a cantilever?

Naim%20Audio%20-%20Solstice00959.jpg

"to put it another way, there'll never be a revival for the vinyl LP whatever audiophiles say or do" Ken Kessler HFN Sept '94 P23 :rolleyes::D

In much the same way the Marx Brothers turned down shares in Coca-Cola (when the company was new) on the grounds they didn't think the company had a future.

One wonders if the whole digitally encoded system is flawed. You only need to hear how a 15ips 1/4” reel to reel sounds and with modern technology surely a more convenient analogue format could be developed. Something inherently immune to surface noise and tape hiss.

In other news: this month’s Stereophile features a review of the new Tech Das Air Force Zero, which, by the time Michael Fremer had added enough bits to be able to play a record, costs a mere $575,000.

PS Tech Das website. So huge it won’t even fit in any of the publicity pictures.

In other news: this month’s Stereophile features a review of the new Tech Das Air Force Zero, which, by the time Michael Fremer had added enough bits to be able to play a record, costs a mere $575,000.

PS Tech Das website. So huge it won’t even fit in any of the publicity pictures.

I'm trying to work out why on earth it needs a "suction/release" knob. It mentions something about holding the platters together, but surely that need not be a manual switch...?

I'm trying to work out why on earth it needs a "suction/release" knob. It mentions something about holding the platters together, but surely that need not be a manual switch...?

As I understand it this is a distant descendent of the Luxman vacuum platter decks of the ‘70s and the record is sealed onto the platter with a vacuum. Not sure how I feel about that as I’m no fan of hard platters as I’ve seen records damaged by them, and I’d have thought that was a great way of pushing any hard dust or other contaminants into the surface of the lower side. I just have a record collector mindset!

Utterly stupid.
I stopped reading Stereophile because of that kind of review. Not even direct drive. What's the use?

advertisement

Back