advertisement

Naim SNAIC

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Could PFMers help me out. I'm new to Naim, having just bought a used CD 3.5 ( which is superb, by the way...) No Instruction Manual. I was suppied with a grey 5 pin DIN terminated cable, with locking collars. A SNAIC, I believe. No blanking plug, but buyer eventually supplied it. Made a temporary one until it arrived. Bought a recommended cable to go from the Naim DIN output to my amplifier's phono input. (I'm not using a Naim amplifier) I discovered the SNAIC supplies power from a Flatcap (strange name...) As I will not be using an external supply for reasons too complex to discuss here, I wondered if the SNAIC's a sellable item. I need to re-coup some costs. Any advice will be helpful. By the way, the grey lead has a label, NA-22, on it. Special SNAIC or year of manufacture code ? Martyn .

I think the number just relates to who made it and does not signify any model etc. Grey Snaics are not very sought after unfortunately and go for around £10.00. The black ones fetch around £40 - £50.00 on ebay.

The thin lavender signal only cables go for about £25.00.

Regards

I think the number just relates to who made it and does not signify any model etc. Grey Snaics are not very sought after unfortunately and go for around £10.00. The black ones fetch around £40 - £50.00 on ebay.

The thin lavender signal only cables go for about £25.00.

Regards
Thanks.

its not a snaic, snaics are more grey and much thicker - you've got a naim signal cable - for connecting the cdp to a naim pre amp

i didnt say it came with any cables, just threw a naim signal cable in to get you going when you get a naim pre - which i predict you will! a nac12 is cheap and good!!

The 3.5 is somewhat shrill without a PSU, get a flatcap at min.

Superb cheap pre amp is the NAC 42.5

I would suggest you enjoy the 3.5 for a while. Certainly it can be much improved on, but take a bit of time and listen to some tunes. As suggested, a flatcap, or as in my experience, a hicap, brings it on. On the other hand, you could look at the computer route, which I think will give better value.

Regards

Brian

You could get an Olive Flatcap for inside £150, there have been a few in the classifieds and the case would match your 3.5.

Matey's Flatcap 2X is better and will power two units, so your 3.5 and a Naim pre amp for example, or Naim phono stage. As fpr price that's between you two; it will be in the new Black case with illuminated Naim logo in a crescent shape.

As for the different generations the are referred to as Chrome Bumper, Olive and Black.

They all mix together well, have fun on the Naim merrry go round!

advertisement

Back