Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SL2 speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by HiFiman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. RS3

RS3 Member

I’ve always been interested in this. Do you mean when you push the lower base cabinet (spiked into the floor) the tweeter arm should gently rock back and forth rather than the lower cabinet itself rocking back and forth?

2. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

Colour not really important, cherry or black are favourites.

FF

3. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

It took me 9 months of searching before a pair showed up in the colour (maple) I was looking for. This was back in 2010 when everybody seemed to keeping hold of them. They didn’t have the original packaging either so we had to use plenty of bubble wrap and an old duvet. It did the trick!

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  4. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Mine are set as follows, if you touch the tweeter surround it gently moves back and forth then returns to the centre. If you push back on the main cabinet this gently rocks on the leaf spring at the base. So two separate motions and the main aim is to keep the tweeter as isolated as possible from the main cab.

5. HiFiman

I will keep a look out Francis.

6. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

I have had 2 pairs in the past (not at the same time!!) but moved up to NBLs.

I have black Saras in my second system which are very old but sounding excellent (without foam grills). The idea is to go to SL2s again as they fit the decor better and to hear if they can improve on the Saras. BTW I compared the Saras to Mk2 SBLs at home and the Saras stayed so SBLs are not on the options list.

FF

7. RS3

RS3 Member

Got it. Mine do the same although I’ve never had the nerve to give the lower cabinet a push like that!

The SL2 is such a fascinating engineering story. I don’t think any speaker manufacturer will ever set out to create anything so complex again. It’s a moment in time and something only Naim would attempt.

There were only ever 349 pairs of SL2s sold and Naim made very little, if any, profit in them.

The aluminium plates that separate the lower and upper cabinets are perfectly flat and the cost of sourcing them from massive sheets of aluminium of which must was wasted was very significant.

You have a piece of HiFi history in front of you now. Enjoy

Rack Kit likes this.
  8. HiFiman

Thanks for the info RS3 it's nice to know I now own one pair of only 349 sold !!

I also read that only 250 NBLs were made not sure how true this is.

Rack Kit likes this.
  9. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Glad it has all worked out well.

10. HiFiman

Sure did, speakers are in great condition, no colour fading, grills in great shape and those scratches on the back of one of the speakers are just that and look worse on the photo.

Sound amazing and just disappear when music is played, love um.

11. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

I made a HUUUUGE mistake this afternoon, played my LP12/ARO/Geddon through the SBLs .......in recent years I have been using it to archive my LPs, or the more popular LPs, unfortunately the SBLs just point out to you that those black spinning discs are simply better than anything you are streaming.

HiFiman likes this.
  12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

It does make you feel kinda privileged to own a pair doesn’t it? :cool:

HiFiman likes this.
  13. MrPinkEyes

MrPinkEyes pfm Member

Great you have some, sounds like you have done the setup research too. Sorry I dont have time to read the thread but be sure to do the 3.6nm thing on the face plates and woofer surrounds. They will lossen over time especially when you have them up loud a lot. Replace the face plate washers every year with “tits”pointing up if any residual aluminium from washes on the face plates clean off carefully. Also very important get the tweeter surrounds completely flush with the surrounding face plate, massive difference if it’s not done right.
    Sorry if you know this already. I know other stuff if you would to know just ask..

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  14. ewencummins

ewencummins pfm Member

And if you get around to replacing the tweeter rubber surrounds any top tips would be very welcome to me, and possibly others.

15. MrPinkEyes

MrPinkEyes pfm Member

Hmmm so your talking about the rubber surrounds around the dome tweeter. I wouldn’t try doing that myself. Naim still have matched tweeter and woofers. I’m sure the tweeters aren’t all that pricey either. With out doubt very important.
    Interestingly I was told by the guy who used to assemble the sl2 speaker that the tweeter arm\ shoulder torque was 3.6 nm, (that’s the 3 hexagon bolts) while most in the naim forum say as tight as possible. I found 3.7nm on my wrench to be spot on, just a bit more sound stage in my room, if it’s not been played with by a previous owner is best not to touch. Makes A rather large difference, tighter is definitely brighter. Here’s another one he confirmed for me. The 2 bolts on the bottom of the lower speaker box that connect the base to the box are also 3.6 nm. I got about 3/4 of a full turn out of mine which probably haven’t been touch from new 10 years ago. Also while a level setup is what they recommend (and I do too) you can put a very slight higher bias to the back as the leaf spring will settle slightly once the top box has been placed, stands to reason doesn’t it. Hope this is informative for you.
    Warning if you don’t have a good quality torque wrench don’t play. The Sl2 are so so so subject to the correct set up it’s just not worth getting it wrong. They just keep on giving and giving. Your 250Dr is good but a 500 just lets them sing then try active.

16. HiFiman

Thanks for the additional information MrPinkEyes, the SL2s sound spot on after all the alignment, spirit leveling etc plus the setup I have now is probably the best I will achieve if I tinker anymore it may have the opposite effect :)

My setup below but at some point the Fraim will be moved to a side wall roughly where the coffee table is (bottom right of the picture) this will allow the SL2s to go 2-3 inches further apart.

[​IMG]

Ewen, regarding the foam around the tweeter I haven't touched this yet just covered them up with the foam grills.

Just in case you are wondering the object in the middle is a Bioethanol fire, looks good when lit.

17. longmanjon

longmanjon pfm Member

looks great, but I would certainly try and move the rack away from the speakers, as the soundwaves will reverberate around larger than the cabinets physical space. if that makes sense

HiFiman likes this.
  18. MrPinkEyes

MrPinkEyes pfm Member

Most excellent! That looks bloody nice. Now you will have to deal with not wanting to go to bed or work.
    Enjoy your 1/349.
    If I could figure out how to post picture of my kit I would

HiFiman likes this.
  19. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

I think you may have struggled domestically with DBL's …
    I'd say
    you made the right choice for the room. Looks good, enjoy.

HiFiman likes this.
  20. echann

echann pfm Member

It’s easy. First you need to sign up with a photo hosting site (like imgbb which is free). Upload your photo and copy the link. Now when you post, click on the photo icon (next to the smiley face), paste the link and voila.

Look forward to seeing your photos ;)