Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SL2 speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by HiFiman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Just want to say a big thanks guys for all your tips and help obtaining the SL2s they are now warming up, took a couple of hours but most was familiarising myself with the process.

More on these later.

2. HiFiman

Couple of questions

1. The pips and washers - the gap between the top and bottom cab is around 2mm and this is evenly spread but the washers seem thinner is this the normal

2. Tweeters are bang on in the middle of the surround plate after careful adjustment and leveling, on the end of the vertical tweeter support there are 3x Allen key bolts can I loosen these and bring forward the horizontal tweeter arm to flush the tweeter with the tweeter surround plate.

3. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

The gap on mine at the edge of the cabinets is less than 1mm. I think yours are not sitting right by the sound of it. The pips go in the holes and then the washers go on. The pips on the three prongs should be facing upwards.

You can, but assuming they were set correctly before you shouldn't need to. The tweeter surround plate on the front of the speakers can be loosened to centre the tweeters looks wise, but that is side to side not front to back adjustment. Can you maybe post some pics?

4. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

If the speaker base is flat, and the long metal tweeter arms are vertical, the tweeters should be in the right place in terms of front and back. As tiggers suggests, you can loosen and move the bigger tweeter surround so that the circular tweeter plate sits centrally.

5. HiFiman

Cheers guys.

The tweeter is about 2mm further back then the tweeter surround and both speakers are the same, tweeters are central and even to the surround. After a quick google of SL2 pictures some setups look like this so not sure if this is by design.

The gap between top and bottom box maybe 1mm and during the install I placed the pips in first then washers with the three prongs facing upwards. The prongs are not prominent though do these ware out?

Anyway the SL2s are a big step up from the Allae's and I'm probably a bit picky towards the setup.

6. RS3

RS3 Member

You need to have the tweeters flush with the surround plate and central with a circle of daylight around the tweeter when you look at it from front on.

You can adjust the top plate (that the tweeter suspension arm supports) to bring the tweeter forward as needed to be flush with the surround. This is perfectly normal.

7. HiFiman

Excellent thanks for the reply

8. echann

echann pfm Member

Look forward to hearing more of your impressions once you get to listen to them at greater length.

9. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

And they rock on the end of a 300 which you can find used for not much more than a new 250DR (if yours was). The buyer of my old 300 was staggered at the difference. The 300DR is 'better' but not by a massive amount. SL2 set up is fun isn't it? ;)

10. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Will be very interested to see what you make of them compared to the Allaes and see if your observations match mine. Let us know when you've had time to bed them in.

11. ewencummins

ewencummins pfm Member

Hi,

Just to say that the tweeters' positions on their arms are set at the factory and shouldn't need adjustment. They will be specific to the base cabinets, so the previous owner may have a little dot on one of them, one of the top cabinets and one of the bases to indicate which matches which. If not and you're having problems it might be worthwhile trying swapping the tweeters over between cabinets to see if this helps. It should be easy to tell which top goes with which bottom by matching up the grain on a pair of cherry SL2s.

As per others' responses the tweeters can be pivoted forward and backwards a bit to get them aligned vertically with the face plate. The face plate can be move by loosening the 4 small allen bolts and shifting the face plate around until the tweeter is bang in center of the face plate and then re-tightening the allen bolts. If these have been seated a long while the face plate may be reluctant to move. I've just done it with my new maple ones, and the only way I could break them off after loosening the allen bolts was by sticking a flat wooden spatula into the gap between the face plate and the inner bit of the top cabinet and a little light pressure, and then work your way around until it is unstuck. It's not glued, it's just that mine had rather settled in.

I think that monkeying around with the larger allen bolts that fix the tweeter arm to the horizontal arm the tweeter is attached to is only to be done if all else fails. It may also be a route to madness as the number of dimensions and seating of the pivot arms in the bases creates quite a lot of dimensions to move in.

And if you've the time, getting two allen bolts with proper hex heads on for seating in the pivot arms at the base also saves a lot (an awful lot!) of aggravation.

The gap between top and bottom cabinets should just be the thickness of the washers that go around the 3 pegs, maybe even a bit less than 1mm.

Yours,

Ewen.

12. HiFiman

I'm going to stick with the 250DR no doubt the 300 is better but the 250 has grabbed these with great control and the bass response is spot on for my room, not sure if a 300 will spoil this.

I love to tinker and the SL2 is an interesting product, in a few weeks I will probably strip these down again and start over as I plan to move my Fraim to the other side of the room ;)

13. HiFiman

I've cracked it and the tweeters are flush with the tweeter surround. Lovely spring to the tweeter when gently pushed and the cabinets are firmly rooted to the floor with a slight spring back and forth.

Thanks for your write up much appreciated.

14. HiFiman

I have a soft spot for the Allaes and these are my second pair, first pair owned for 13 years, second only a few months but felt my current 272/555DR/250DR deserved better.

The Allaes once setup are superb but the SL2 just dig so much more into the music and already prefer the bass response from the SL2 and fit my room with no boom as on certain tracks the Allaes suffered from this.

In terms of detail I thought the Tab 10 signatures were the best I have heard (in my house) but the SL2 have this in spades and then some, they are the full package.

15. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Yes that's pretty much my thoughts too. I almost thought something was lacking for a while, but then I realised the Allaes do boom a little and I had just got so used to it. The SL2 seems less forgiving of bad recordings which I guess is to be expected, but when they sing they really sing.

16. echann

echann pfm Member

I thought the standout characteristics when I switched to SL2s was their speed, clarity and sheer coherence. Things I still love about them now.

HiFiman likes this.
  17. echann

echann pfm Member

When you have them setup correctly you should get a nice rocking motion when you gently push the cabinet back.

18. HiFiman

I've probably spent three hours in total setting up the SL2s and I now feel they are set just about perfect with the tweeter balanced and the main cabinet has a nice rocking motion when pushed.

I do agree with your comments regarding speed and clarity and they are really growing on me, wonderful speakers.

The thing that stands out the most is the bass control and they work beautifully in my room even Vicki (the wife) joined me for a listen tonight and that's a rarity.

Rack Kit likes this.
  19. FrancisClement

FrancisClement pfm Member

Congrats for the purchase. I have also been looking and a pair in Germany has been a scam so beware to PFMers. They were suspiciously cheap and the request was "do a bank transfer and she will send them"! No, I said, I will fly to Germany to see them. Result - final contact was thanks for you time and interest!!

FF

20. HiFiman

I started this thread on the 20th April and by Sunday the 28th a pair in the right colour turned up and I was lucky as the seller is an audio dealer in the UK.

Keep looking Francis a pair will turn up are you looking for any particular colour?