Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SL2 speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by HiFiman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Just purchased the Cherry SL2s from the link Mr Underhill posted, one caveat the proceeds from the sale of my Allae's the wife will receive as she wasn't best pleased with my purchase this morning but she soon liked the proposal !!!

2. HiFiman

PS thanks for the link Mr Underhill :)

3. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Removed the temptation I was feeling!

Just had a friend round listening to the SBLs, his comment, 'Bloody hell, these are good.'

Look forward to your feedback!

4. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

New foam grill available on TomTom site.

5. HiFiman

The grills look okay it's the foam pad that surrounds the tweeter these can be picked up for around £7 each

6. HiFiman

I appreciate your temptation not to purchase the SL2s and shaing the find as these are exactly what I was looking for, colour and price :D

Good to hear the SBLs are sounding great.

Feedback next week when the SL2s land.

7. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Shame you are not closer, look forward to your thoughts.

8. Timo_F

Timo_F pfm Member

Congratulations Hifiman -- look forward to your thoughts, especially how the SL2 compare to Proac's sound signature? You had Tablettes previously, right? Sadly I have never heard Naim speakers...

9. HiFiman

That's correct Timo, after selling my original Allae's I downgraded my amps to a UQ and purchased a pair of AE301s. Lived with this setup for a few months then started the usual climb up the Naim ladder again!!

Sold the AE301 and purchased Proac Tab 10 STD, room change and decor then exchanged the Std to the signature version.

Both Tabs are superb and great combo with Naim.

Room too big for the Tabs, spotted a mint pair of Allaes so full circle.

Hopefully the SL2 will live up to the glowing reviews.

10. echann

echann pfm Member

Just be sure to read and follow Richard Dane’s SL2 setup instructions on the Naim Forum. It seems a bit complicated at first but once you know the speakers a bit better makes perfect sense.

11. echann

echann pfm Member

Where are these available? Just thinking ahead for when mine need replacement.

12. HiFiman

13. HiFiman

Today I have been reading all the setup guides including the one from Mr Dane to prepare myself for the install

Thanks for the mention though.

14. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Congrats on getting the SL2s, hope you enjoy them.

Richard Dane's set up guide is excellent and it's really not that hard, if a little time consuming, to get them right. Point 7 is absolutely key though.

7. Because of the leaf spring at the rear, getting the spikes perfectly level at the back is tricky. A tip is to lean the cabinet forwards on the front spikes and then gently lower the cabinet at the back. As the spikes make contact with the floor, if one is longer than the other it will push the tweeter arm one way or the other. Adjust spikes and repeat until there is no lateral movement of the tweeter arm when the spikes touch the floor. Tighten.

Here's how I did the levelling:

1. Firstly as per the guide I levelled the front spikes by tipping the cabinet forward and getting the front level side to side.
    2. I then roughly levelled the back and made sure I had the speaker level front to back.
    3. I then did step 7 from Richard's guide. I found that very very gently and slowly lowering the back down and watching the tweeter arm to see if it moved left or right and then adjusting the relevant spike (left spike down i.e. expose more of the spike from it's mount raising the speaker on that side) if tweeter arm moves left, right spike down if tweeter arm moves right until I had no movement was the way to go. I then tightened the rear spikes.
    4. I then loosened and reset the front two spikes by the same amount ensuring the level front to back was correct.
    5. The speaker should now be level in all directions and the tweeter should fit perfectly concentrically in the tweeter aperture.

If you have any problems feel free to message me.

Sloop John B and HiFiman like this.
  15. HiFiman

Wow excellent write up Tiggers and I appreciate your time posting.

I will follow your guidelines and go from there, patience is my middle name ;)

Cannot wait to try them in my setup/room they should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

16. echann

echann pfm Member

Once you've sweated over getting the speakers as level and the tweeter as centered in the tweeter faceplate as humanely possible, don't be afraid to loosen the faceplate screws and adjust the faceplate a bit so that the tweeter is centered.

17. HiFiman

Thanks for the tip echann, do you still own those wonderful Rosewood SL2s

18. echann

echann pfm Member

Yes luckily i do HiFiman. They sound fab on the end of active Teddy Pardo amps.

19. HiFiman

I found your post from about 3 years ago when you moved rooms, interesting read.

My SL2s arrive tomorrow but last night the Allae's sounded great, lovely bass and tonnes of detail and got me thinking have I made a mistake, hopefully the SL2s will outshine these on the end of the 250DR.

20. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Try them and if you prefer the Allaes just move them on as you'll have no trouble selling them. In my setup they were better than the Allaes, but I was compromised on positioning the Allaes so it's not a given.

HiFiman likes this.