Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SL2 speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by HiFiman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Allaes are about 2mtr apart, 8inch from the back wall and I sit about 5mtr, not the usual triangle but I prefer this sound stage.

With the Allaes 8inch from the back wall the bass is just right.

2. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

This is exactly as I have found. The SL2s can go up against the wall which is better for me as I'm a little short on room at the moment.

3. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

Cherry DBL's available, against back wall is perfect, active + passive x/o, and anything drives them.

4. HiFiman

Bloody hell Rory DBLs !!!

Not sure if the wife would allow these.
    Out of interest how much?

5. Timo_F

Timo_F pfm Member

What’s the problem — I thought you got already kicked out of the living room... ;-)

HiFiman likes this.
  6. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

Haha, price would be realistic but please run the idea past Mrs Hifiman first...

7. HiFiman

The dimensions depth and width of the DBL very similar footprint to my Naim Fraim, this gives me an idea of space taken up in my room, interesting.

Vicki how about a pair of DBLs !!!

8. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

Remember they taper in from bottom to top .. so it's not like having a 1.2m tall fraim. To these eyes they have always looked elegant, but I'm not pretending they're invisible ..

9. Timo_F

Timo_F pfm Member

They look big, and they are big:

Dimensions (HxWxD) in mm
    1200x650x400

Certainly not something one slot in, and say “what are you talking about love, nothing has changed”... ;-)

T

HiFiman likes this.
  10. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

No argument with Timo re the marital conversation :) .. just a reminder that they taper to 30cm at top which makes a surprisingly big difference visually .. other similar sized beasts look like coffins by comparison.

11. PerF

PerF Scandinavian Member

If you can't find SL2 I'd take DBL any day (provided WAF accept) rather than some horrible Focals or other overpriced stuff that never would work up against a rear wall.

12. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

I went from SBL's to SL2's. I felt SL2's were clearer and more refined than SBL's. both used passive at the end of a 250.

13. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Allae to DBL - if I had room that is a route I would take, but I'll miss your allae - SBL - SL2 journey!

14. Timo_F

Timo_F pfm Member

Weren’t the DBL designed to run active? in addition to the space for the speakers, this calls for another Fraim rack... :) Hifiman, you would be getting a clear upgrade path for years to come... Probably a great journey... :)

15. HiFiman

The DBL seed has been planted (thanks Rory) next question is how I approach the subject to Vicki as mentioned above the DBL dont just slip into a room.

Also is the 250DR man enough to drive these beasts as I dont want a multiple active boxes, 3 is enough but may stretch as a final amp upgrade to a 300dr all passive though.

16. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

Hi, yes, a single 250 is certainly plenty, efficiency is 91 db I believe so power isn't an issue.
    Quality upstream much more relevant, and you have it.
    . When my 500 was away my NAP 90 slotted in very nicely for a while, but of course a 300 would be a very nice future ambition.

17. RoryL

RoryL pfm Member

Hi Timo, yes when initially released, the first DBL's were offered as active only. However customer demand led to the passive crossover option a few years later. I've been lucky enough to have had both in my time.

18. dalmatian

dalmatian pfm Member

Mr Underhill, I’ve always liked the Allaes but the usual upgradeitis bit and I was offered a mint pair of S400 Ovators at a very good price. I have had various systems and various speakers in the past and I’m well aware of the risks of buying speakers because of their interaction with the room etc I set the Ovators up sat back and they sounded terrible, all glassy, flat, no depth, one dimensional I was really disappointed as I wanted to love them, I did start a thread about them on the original forum, had a lot of advice about placement which I tried but I couldn’t get them to sound even acceptable so I moved them on. Went back to the Allaes and was happy until, again, I was offered a mint pair of MK2 SBLs at a silly price, I’ve heard so many thing about them I had to try them out, I set them up, sealed them, about 3” from a solid wall and sat down to listen to them, they were very good, similar to the Allaes but with a tighter bass. I lived with them for a while but something was missing so I tried my Allaes again and the magic instantly came back, sold the SBLs the next week.
    These are my observations, in my room with my Nova, with my ears, people may say one speaker is better than another but nothing beats hearing them in your own room, I have demoed various speakers in dealers and they have always sounded different when I got them home.

The Allaes and Nova combination are staying, I’m very happy with them and have no desire to upgrade (famous last words).
    Nick

Andrew C! likes this.
  19. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Hi Nick,

System synergy. I did an extended demo with the Allae and decade or more ago and just couldn't get on with them, despite wanting to ....I ended up with Living Voice.

SBLs have been a stonking success. Yes, there are things I miss about my Focals on particular albums, but overall I can live with the SBLs very happily. DBLs? Just too big for my space. SL2? Well, that would be tempting ....but, I suspect I will just live happily with the SBLs for the foreseeable. They even work well with my Audio Physic centre!

HiFiman likes this.
  20. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

21. HiFiman

Thanks Mr Underhill

Some damage to the rear of one speaker pic7 but looks like scratches.
    From what I have read the surrounding foam on the tweeters goes after a few years and these are an early SL2.

What to do now