Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SL2 speakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by HiFiman, Apr 20, 2019.

1. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

Long shot but is anyone selling Naim SL2 speakers especially in Cherry?

I am more than happy with my Allaes but fancy trying out the SL2.

Cheers

2. MrPinkEyes

MrPinkEyes pfm Member

Just to keep the powder dry. The sl2 are very very good. Once setup correctly that is. Good luck it’s worth it.

3. HiFiman

Thanks for the bump.

I'm in no rush as the Allaes are sounding mighty fine, hopefully a pair will turn up.

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

5. HiFiman

Spotted those Tony but thanks for the heads up.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  6. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

I have just had a disaster with one of my Focal 1008be, while I am sorting this out a friend has lent me a pair of Mk I SBLs; they are excellent. In fact I am going to buy them from him. If you cannot track down the SL2s I would heartily recommend the SBLs, which I am using with a Nord One UP NC500.

HiFiman likes this.
  7. finvarg

finvarg pfm Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    HiFiman likes this.
  8. HiFiman

Cheers guys. I once tried the SBL but preferred my Allaes but this may have been down to the amp I was using at the time not driving them correctly, now use a 250dr but then it was the 155xs.

I have spotted a pair of SBLs in beech on Ebay for £849 I may look into this further.

9. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

HiFiman,

I am using a Linn Klimax Renew DS/1 optimised using SO v2 into an EAR868pl. I am getting the best sound quality I have ever had at home. The SBLs are not a slam dunk over the Focals in every way, but overall I would say that they are simply better ...and those ones you are looking at are Mk IIs, which are supposed to be a tad better.

I have described them to a friend as transparent. He heard them with Olive amps, which I never got along with and as it turns out neither did he. With the EAR/Nord they are great. I personally prefer the modern Naim amps and I am sure your 250DR will make some pleasant music with them.

Be interested in your thoughts if you get them.

N.B. I do have a solid brick wall, although a suspended floor.

10. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

11. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I have just been through this. I decided that in the absence of SL2s for sale I would buy some SBLs instead and do them up. Got a set through eBay and while a little tatty cosmetically they sound very very good indeed with new gaskets etc. Just as I was about to take them apart to refurbish the cabinets when some SL2s turned up on here.... bought them and to my ears they are streets ahead of the SBLs and Allaes (yep, have a set of those too). Now this is just my opinion, but I would say the Allaes are behind the SBLs a little and the SL2s are way ahead of both in terms of detail, control etc. I would point out that I am driving them actively from 135s and have them in a suspended floored room with solid brick walls behind them. I am going to keep the SL2s for the main system and use the SBLs with my second home system. I will sell the Allaes. Hope that helps.

12. longmanjon

longmanjon Well-Known Member

tigger, what finish are your allaes as im looking for a pair

13. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Maple, in very very good condition, slight mark on one front, but I'm being very picky. They're in London right now. Have all boxes/packaging etc.

PM me as not really fair of me to hijack someone else's thread

14. HiFiman

No problem hijacking the thread makes an interesting read and keeps it alive.

Over the past few days the Allaes are on full song and sound superb maybe they are on best behavior knowing a pair of SBL's or SL2 may push them aside :)

15. dalmatian

dalmatian pfm Member

I have Allaes, bought a pair of Ovator S400’s and then a pair of SBL’s trying to better them, sold them both and now realise how good the Allaes are, I’m sticking with them.

Nick

HiFiman likes this.
  16. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Hi HiFiman,

What electronics are you driving these with?

17. HiFiman

I'm using 272/555DR/250DR

18. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

HiFiman:
    One of the many issues with HiFi is the danger of sideways moves. If my cats hadn't destroyed one of my Focal 1008bes I would still be happily using them. Are the SBLs better? Not a simple question. In the meanwhile I also borrowed a pair of Geddes, all three have the strong points.

One big advantage of the SBL/SL2 is that they are cheap for what they are, and so you will be able to scratch an itch and probably lose very little money.

Personally I couldn't get on with the Allaes at all, but I am loving the SBLs; I did keep an eye out for a pair of SL2s, which did come up but with a degraded tweeter, they were sold by the following morning.

I would be VERY interested in your thoughts if you get either/both speaker.

Dalmation:
    When you did your sojourne with the S400s and SBLs did you run a thread? Be interested to read it.

19. HiFiman

Its an itch that will be scratched but probably not with the SL2s due to the lack of availability.

I'm currently in touch with a fellow PF member who is selling a pair of SBLs MK2 in good condition details on these speakers will follow after the weekend.

I have owned two pairs of Allae's over the years, 1st pair for 13 years then a break trying out different stand mounts for 2 years then my current pair that I have owned for the past few months.

The current pair of Allae's are cherry and in first class condition and are newer then my original set. To be fair these Allae's on the end of my 250DR sound superb and work very well in my 4x6 mtr room and stand about 8 inch from the back wall.

The reason for the change is to get the speakers pressed up against the wall hence the SL2 and hopefully an upgrade too.

I will report back with my findings.

20. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

How close do you use your Allaes? Mine were pushed right up against the walls, just like my current SL2s. Keep looking for the SL2s - something will come up eventually - and they're definitely worth it.