advertisement

Naim servicing in Edinburgh area

SteveG

pfm Member
I've temporarily retired my ancient active Naim set-up which playing around with an Onix DNA 45, so while it's out of use I thought I might get some servicing work done. Any recommendations for someone good to pick that up, preferably in Edinburgh? There are a lot of bits of kit (a mix of chrome bumper and green stuff) so I'd rather be able to drop them off rather than post.

Thanks
Steve

I don't know of any authorised repairers but I have a friend who might service them for you. He's more than capable of recapping if that's what you're looking for?

The closest authorised service centre that I know of is Robert Ritchie HiFi in Montrose. Not exactly just around the corner but I've taken amps up there.

If you have the boxes Class A will pick up and return after service and they are a Naim service centre.

I know the thought of taking them to somewhere near is appealing but I would suggest you give Darran a ring at Class A.

Cheers,

John

Jump in your motorhome, drop off at Class A, enjoy a few days in the Peak District, pick up again fresh as a daisy. Job done!

Loud and clear do repairs..

Most shops 'do' repairs but what they really mean is they send them out to someone else who does. I doubt L&C Edinburgh service Naim as they don't even sell the brand. L&C Glasgow sell Naim and they don't service it.

Jez Arkless isn't far away.

I'm a little busy ATM but I'm 100 miles away in Northumberland, if the OP can wait a while...
Witch Hat Audio will likely have the parts in stock and could turn it round before I could fit it in and do a top job.
If bringing it by car is THAT important to the OP then he could PM me in say 3 weeks:)

Most shops 'do' repairs but what they really mean is they send them out to someone else who does. I doubt L&C Edinburgh service Naim as they don't even sell the brand. L&C Glasgow sell Naim and they don't service it.

ah understood , loud and clear are UK repair agents for bel canto and when you ring them you can speak to hubert who does repairs

Thanks for the updates. Loud and Clear are close to the office (and I've bought several things from them in the last year or so) so I'll go in and have a word there first. I knew they did repairs as I've spoken to them about other stuff in the past, which they didn't seem keen to progress, but will see what their view is on Naim.

Otherwise I might stage a road-trip down to see Jez (who I'd be interested to meet in person anyway), especially as I'm in no real rush to get them serviced as they are currently mothballed anyway.

Otherwise I might stage a road-trip down to see Jez

You know they can't exactly service a Naim amp while you wait? It has to be warmed up and left running for a day or so then the bias adjusted. At least that's what they should do.

If you take the amps to a Naim dealer they will ship them down to Naim for you and get them back. That way you have no risk as the dealer is covering it. Also, when you come to sell the amps they will be worth more if serviced by Naim or a Naim approved service centre. Would you buy a naim amp serviced by someone you'd never heard of?

/\ Well thinks so much for trying to lose me the job through sheer malice :p What a tosser.
For a start most have heard of me... Then, the OP would be getting it serviced by an EE, one who actually designs amplifiers, and was once head hunted to work for Naim as a designer... As opposed to very likely a junior technician or some such.
However, after a bit more thought I withdraw my offer to service this gear as I believe "Naim lore" requires that all the parts used are identical to those fitted by Naim... can't be better spec, or the same spec but a different brand...
This is likely to make procuring all the parts a total PITA.... "Those caps from the '93 amp are obsolete.. but yer can't use a life times experience to choose modern ones of similar or better specs...as you would with any other make, oh no you have to do loads of research to find out what precise brand and type number the factory choose as replacements..."
So thanks, but no thanks:)

You know they can't exactly service a Naim amp while you wait? It has to be warmed up and left running for a day or so then the bias adjusted. At least that's what they should do.

Indeed I do, especially as we're not talking about a single unit but all the bits for an active set-up. I'm expecting they'll be away for a few weeks.

I'm expecting they'll be away for a few weeks.

It depends on how busy Naim, or your chosen service place, is. The last time I sent something to Naim they didn't want it shipped down immediately. They waited until they were ready do the job before they asked for it to be sent down so the unit wasn't actually with them for that long. I think it was a couple of weeks.

Independants, all bets are off. My son had a few things fixed by a guy in Glasgow, no connection to any shop. He had a good reputation for being able to deal with tricky repairs but it took months and lots of hounding before he actually did the jobs. It was a Quad power amp and a mixer. I know another guy who was very well known and had a good reputation who told me himself that if he took a dislike to the customer he went into 'sleep mode' and made them wait.

Obviously I'm not saying that's the norm but Naim are clearly very systematic and professional. Naim servicing is also not that expensive. Not saying it's cheap, and you can probably save money if you are getting a few units done, but if an independent repairer is doing a decent job you often find that they are not much cheaper than Naim. If you think about it, Naim do repairs as a service to their customers, they make money on product sales. Someone who just fixes things makes profit on that. I've called independants who've quoted me crazy money just to look at the thing!

And the parts used do matter. If you fit 'better' capacitors in a Naim amp it might change the sound but not necessary in a way you like. Not a good result if you've spent a lot of money on the servicing.

For Naim servicing my choice would be Naim or an approved naim service agent like Robert Ritchie, Witch Hat etc. You know that what you get back will sound right and will hold its value. That's my take anyway. Nothing is risk free but overall I feel that gives you the best odds of a good outcome.

Another thumbs up for Robert Ritchie Montrose, I'm just along the road from them and a trip for me to Edinburgh is 1hr 20.So not that bad.
They are one of the oldest Naim authorised dealers and service agents The way I thought it works is a kit of Naims currently used parts is sent to the service engineer for each required component, so you get what Naim currently fits but at less £per man hour.

They are one of the oldest Naim authorised dealers and service agents.

Actually the oldest. For many years the only two places in the UK authorised to fix Naim kit was Robert Ritchie and Naim. I'm sure any approved Naim service centre would be fine but I've had a few things fixed by Robert and I can't recommend him too highly. Robert himself has retired now but I'm sure Robbie and the guys running things now are good. And a drive up the East coast isn't too big a hardship ;0)

advertisement

Back