Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SBLs in walnut

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Mickey Dale, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

What about having them wrapped?

2. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

The only tricky bit with veneering would be the rebate on the tweeter box and bass driver box. All the other surfaces are large and flat!

I'll sit tight for now. Walnut pairs do seem to crop up quite regularly.

Cheers folks!

Mickey

3. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

4. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

These things always appear simpler than they are in reality. Depends how much of a perfectionist you are and what you can live with.

5. Manket

Manket New member NainMan

Beautiful the Walnut finish. Was the TomTom true Mk2 or converted to Mk1. i remember asking them last year but they had Mk1 with mk2 base drivers from about £700 upwards.

6. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

Have re veneered sbls before, it’s a bit of work but doable if you have the skills. It’s a bit of a faff though, with the blue adhesive on drivers, and getting into the rebates.

Did my own set a few years back, with an agreement to sell on to a friend once done, oak veneer and stained dark. Nice grain pattern and similar in colour to walnut but obv not actually walnut. Looked really good when finished and he is open to moving them on, or at least think he is and can always ask

Dinovector and Manket like this.
  7. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Did those Oak SBLs end up in Acoustica Chester by any chance? I know of someone who bought some from him that sound just like that. Nice job if they are the same ones

8. Paul Burke

Paul Burke pfm Member

No, though could have nearly done since later on took sl2’s from acoustica, though ended up keeping the sbls, decided he preferred them. The have been posted up on naim forum and groups a few times though so might be recognised around there

Dinovector likes this.
  9. dna audio

dna audio Trade: DNA Audio

If you put two layers of veneer on one side and there is only one internal layer then there is a chance they would sound different. When MDF is veneered for speaker cabinets there is usually a balance veneer on the inside to make sure the wood is balanced. This is to make sure the two sides react in the same way to the environmental conditions. It would be so fiddly to strip down and clean the hylomar etc that you would be far better off just trying to find a good pair already in the right finish. There is no substitution for veneer fitted in the factory. The task would be more difficult on SBLs as you would need to align the veneer across 3 cabinets per speaker.

I have seen veneering at a cabinet makers and it is a highly skilled job involving temperature sensitive adhesive, edging machines, heated pressed and also vacuum bags. If you were going down this route then Wilmslow would be no doubt a good starting point but by the time you bought the veneer, stripped them down, got them re-finished and then rebuilt and re-installed them you might as well just buy a late Mk 2 pair when some suitable ones come up.

Nye Samuel likes this.
  10. DCA

DCA pfm Member

Hi Mickey

Are these what you could be looking for?

These are official Mk1.5 and came from Naim new with the upgraded drivers but original walnut cabinets. I bought them from a chap at the BBC who kept them in pristine condition and I've continued that care over the last 7-8 years.

I'm so very fond of them and looked for a long time before finding as good a pair as these. I also have all the original packaging including the tweeter box spacer! I replaced the grills last year and still have the originals.

I had them in my second system in my home studio but since retiring I've converted the studio into a bedroom and they are not really fitting in anywhere. I'm reluctant to let go of them but could be persuaded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manket, joe9407, roach and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Crikey...if I had the space...I would make you an offer...very nice indeed. :)

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

very pretty but look like cherry?

13. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

The boxes say walnut.

14. DCA

DCA pfm Member

Yup, definitely walnut. Colour coming out a bit lighter in those pics.

15. garyi

garyi leave blank

They do. They do. The walnut ones I had were far darker, and not so red. But hey thats the beauty of wood, and those do look nice.

16. Manket

DCA - They look great and you have looked after them amazingly well especially the boxes! When you say Mk 1.5, are they not the Mk 2.0 with the wood veneered fully wrapped around the cabinet?

17. DCA

DCA pfm Member

I gather that these may have been a 'cross-over' pair. Made with updated drivers and some of the original cabinet left in stock at Naim. Having listened to Mk2s I could detect no significant difference.

Another pic which shows the colour/grain better:

[​IMG]

CTank likes this.
  18. DCA

DCA pfm Member

I love the aliens in the wood grain!

roach likes this.
  19. Manket

Your latest pic looks much darker, nicer and less cherry now. It’s surprising what wood grain can have on your buying decision and it doesn’t effect the sound lol. Since this thread has been started am also more interested in getting a Walnut finish instead of black ash. OCD kicking in. Are u really selling these SBL?

20. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

You need to persuade him to part with them (show him the money!).

Where is @Mickey Dale? The OP of this thread?

Dinovector likes this.