Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Naim SBLs in walnut

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Mickey Dale, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

Looking for a nice pair of walnut SBLs with MK2 bass drivers. The more pronounced the wood grain, the better!

I'm located in West Yorks. Currently unable to travel due to lockdown, but happy to buy based on photos and use a good courier, so long as seller has proper naim boxes.

Cheers,

Mickey

2. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Have you seen the pair Acoustica Chester has for sale on Ebay?

3. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

I did. I believe those are in cherry veneer but thanks for replying.

4. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Have you tried TomTom Audio in St Albans, Hertfordshire?

5. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

I did! He has a pair but at £995, but I'm not struck by the wood grain. Thanks for the suggestion, Nye.

6. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Have you seen pictures of any you like? I’m not sure much of the veneer used was anything too special.

7. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

8. anotherdom

anotherdom pfm Member

Fair comment - those are lovely!

9. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

10. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

Sorry about that, worth a look anyway, I went back and after and saw they had no crossovers or boxes anyway

Those speakers in the link look to be Black Walnut rather than the more usual European Walnut

11. HiFiman

HiFiman Don't tell him Pike

12. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill pfm Member

Having 'upgraded' the MkI to MkII the difference was not massive - but having new drivers was a must as I intend to keep the SBLs, period.

Mickey Dale likes this.
  13. Mickey Dale

Mickey Dale pfm Member

I love my black pair. The desire for a walnut pair is purely cosmetic. I once went to the Bristol Hifi Show and heard active SBLs, finished in piano black. The guys were playing some classic Sinatra, and I'd never heard a system where the sound hovered metres in front of the speakers. Quite incredible for a pair of speakers that often get flack for being 2 dimensional in terms of imaging!

14. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

TTA seem to ask a lot of money for them!

15. badlyread

badlyread pfm Member

Haggle!!

16. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

I don't think the price is the sticking point, it's the wood grain ... so unless haggling can change the finish I don't think it will work for the OP.

17. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Why not buy a tatty pair cheap and get them revineered in the wood of your choice?

18. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

how much would it cost to get them veneered? I have early black ones that could do with a reurb

19. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel Cymru am byth

Ask Wilmslow Audio.

20. Dinovector

Dinovector pfm Member

I wouldn't think it would be cheap by the time you pull the drivers out and strip the old veneer ready for new veneer on top.

If you have the will and a bit of skill it could be done at home reactive cheaply using an iron on glue film https://woodveneeruk.co.uk/shop/sundries/adhesives/wood-veneer-glue-film-adhesive/ and a large sheet of paper backed veneer https://woodveneeruk.co.uk/product-category/wood-veneers/flexible-veneer-sheets/