advertisement

Naim SBL

Fair enough - I'm not familiar with the SL2, but perhaps the crossover is also different?

The key to avoiding the beryllium poisoning is not to grind up the drivers and inhale the dust ;).

I had a pair of Ninka's with Hiqphon OW1 tweets, nothing remarkable and the ES14's stayed, while the SBL's are keepers :D

I've had the tweeter calmed at the crossover stage (-2db), still early stages and I haven't done any swapping back yet, but I think they're better.

From my research, the SL2 crossover is the same circuit, with a different layout. Pictures have been scarce though and neither me (or my friendly builder ) has seen any.

Shame they're not transport friendly, it'd be an interesting bake-off ;-)

Don't tell me, he's 87? :)

I have no idea of his actual age - he still seems very active, but considering he started the company in 83 after a career as general manager for Scan-Speak, he can't be a real spring chicken...

I'll be interested to hear your opinion on the tweeters.

If I decide to go for the newer scanspeaks it'll mean routing the tweeter recess in the SBL's and killing any resale value.

Although that won't be an issue if they are as good as expected when made active.

Black ones would look so much better with that wall paper ;-)

I've had mine a couple of weeks, they keep surprising me, bass jumps out of nowhere from favourite tracks........Love 'em :D

Black ones would look so much better with that wall paper ;-)

I've had mine a couple of weeks, they keep surprising me, bass jumps out of nowhere from favourite tracks........Love 'em :D

Yes bass does seems come from nowhere, quite scary at times.
Not sure about black.

Thanks for that Gaius. I am bit fed up with ported bloaters booming all over the place that need to be in the middle of the room to work. Would you say you lose some depth with them to the back wall?

I once owned the following system: CDX2-XPS2-NAC202-NAPSC-HiCap-NAP200-NAC A5-SBLs, so a perfect Flat Earth system.

It was the only system on which, one day, listening to an old recording of Julius Katchen playing Brahms' piano music (an early recording by DECCA), I could almost feel I could measure the distance between me and the piano in the recording venue.

Talk on Naim and lack of depth is almost always misinformed blah blah. What Naim doesn't deliver is the fake 3D illusion of typical hi-fi. What it often delivers is the sensation of the presence of music, and this, with the best systems, means that the ambient data can reconstruct the sensation of space.

SBLs are great speakers, if that is what you're after - like it always is.
Max

I once owned the following system: CDX2-XPS2-NAC202-NAPSC-HiCap-NAP200-NAC A5-SBLs, so a perfect Flat Earth system.

It was the only system on which, one day, listening to an old recording of Julius Katchen playing Brahms' piano music (an early recording by DECCA), I could almost feel I could measure the distance between me and the piano in the recording venue.

Talk on Naim and lack of depth is almost always misinformed blah blah. What Naim doesn't deliver is the fake 3D illusion of typical hi-fi. What it often delivers is the sensation of the presence of music, and this, with the best systems, means that the ambient data can reconstruct the sensation of space.

SBLs are great speakers, if that is what you're after - like it always is.
Max

Max since installing the sibs on Sunday the 3d perspective is replaced with what you describe yet still retains the feeling of depth, uncanny really. It is also the first speaker I have listened to that plays well at low volume without the need to increase volume. I am also surprised how well vocals are reproduced for a near wall placement design with good central images. Bass can appear light at times then from nowhere it appears quite frighteningly at times. Good stuff.

When I had SBLs I found that the bass really came to life when I moved up to a 52/Supercap. I also had very significantly improved bass performance when initially I put a dual Teddycap on my 82. It produced a radical bass improvement in comparison to 2 x Hicaps.

If I were to replace the tweeters in the SBL should I go for naim scanspeak replacements or other drop In units? For's and against's

I've attenuated the original one + wool felt on the surround (Like Defraction be gone)
When I put up the WTD add for cross-overs I got offered 2 pairs (sorry can't remember from who though) modifying a spare pair may be the easiest way to A-B comparisons?

Again internet myth, but the tweets may be glued/siliconed in, the only way to get them out is to either damage the driver, or cabinet?

I've attenuated the original one + wool felt on the surround (Like Defraction be gone)
When I put up the WTD add for cross-overs I got offered 2 pairs (sorry can't remember from who though) modifying a spare pair may be the easiest way to A-B comparisons?

Again internet myth, but the tweets may be glued/siliconed in, the only way to get them out is to either damage the driver, or cabinet?

From what I have garned off the net naim used some kind of blue sealant, must be doable as they can be replaced without damage to the box.

advertisement

Back