advertisement

Naim SBL

Style, whilst I agree with the sentiment of a lot of what you say I have to disagree on the point about not easily bettering them. My ATCs are in a completely different league. Of course the price is too, but SBLs are only really a good buy nowadays because 1. They are so cheap s/h 2. Not much else works quite as well as a boundary design, that I know of, certainly if considering point 1.

Point taken - absolutely. I agree that there are other loudspeakers out there which are better than the SBLs. But I haven't found a pair that play music like the SBLs and do that better. And, as you mentioned, definitely not in the same price range. In fact, a pair of s/h NBLs or Audio Physic Avanti IIIs or later are in a different league compared to the SBLs and also very good VFM. But they don't sound like SBLs on steroids, which I hope the DBLs do :)

I think I may have to get another pair. I remember them fondly.

This time they'd have to be active though. I've become used to the excellence of active done well.

I think I'll change the tweeter to a D2905 too.

I think I may have to get another pair. I remember them fondly.

This time they'd have to be active though. I've become used to the excellence of active done well.

I think I'll change the tweeter to a D2905 too.

Dear Arthur,

How would the tweeter switch affect the presentation?

I'll be hoping it'll be a little smoother, for want of a better word.

One thing I've never heard any of my SBLs be is bright. Though I accept others often hear it that way...

Last weekend to get your hands on my black ash pair!

Hardly ever...but when they did... :(

Alas, I'll be after a wooden pair. Though if I decide to keep them this time I'll be re-veneering in oak.

Must say my SBLs have never sounded "bright" though I have experienced a bit of "clang" in the upper mids with pianos on dynamic recordings played at high volumes but then every other pair of dynamic speakers clangs with the same recordings in this room at the same volume level so it's a room issue in my case.

Regarding the bass bit, they aren't the last word in slam or extension but what's there is amazingly free of cabinet resonance. Every other sealed box/moving coil loudspeaker I've heard excepting DBLs sounds like what they are - stuffed, wooly and compressed sounding in comparison. I'll keep the SBL's compromises.

P.S. IIRC, FR was stated as 33Hz-18kHz

Gaius, will the sbls be up and running with the Witchat monos by the time of the board bake off? If they are it should be sounding superb judging by what I heard last time you had active sbls and the improvements I heard when you were running the stereo Witchat amp with the LS50s.

Thanks Colin.

Yes that's the plan, once all in place we'll have the bake off, probably in April now.

Currently have the SBLs is passive mode with a pair of Witch Hat monos, Ewen 1970 has just departed, liked what he heard but also said having heard the old active system like you did, there was quite a bit more to come.

They are a speaker that really was designed to be active.

I'll also have a pretty nice LP12 with a couple of surprises on it.

Looking forward to it, it'll will be an interesting a fun day; I am holding my ground on cake choice being Victoria sponge. :)

Regards,

Mark

Interesting, which ATCs Tony?

Hi Mr Vital, had to check on the ATC website. I heard a pair of 150s, actively driven, and a smaller pair I can't quite identify, passive.

Don't get me wrong, they were very good, just not at all what I was expecting.
Anyway I do actually use a pair of ATCs in my main system, the 15" bass units in my DBLs!

I suggest forget ScanSpeak tweeters; just listening the new HiquphonOWII in my SBLs.
Simply magical.
Another style and approach compared to other HighEnd tweeters: the accentuation shows rather musical-priority than hifi-parameters-priority.

SBL loves it; me too.
Seems designed exactly for the Naim SBL.
So much that Naim should offer it as official upgrade.
Enormous step up.

I suggest forget ScanSpeak tweeters; just listening the new HiquphonOWII in my SBLs.
Simply magical.
Another style and approach compared to other HighEnd tweeters: the accentuation shows rather musical-priority than hifi-parameters-priority.

SBL loves it; me too.
Seems designed exactly for the Naim SBL.
So much that Naim should offer it as official upgrade.
Enormous step up.

Are they a drop-in replacement?

Hi Mr Vital, had to check on the ATC website. I heard a pair of 150s, actively driven, and a smaller pair I can't quite identify, passive.

Don't get me wrong, they were very good, just not at all what I was expecting.
Anyway I do actually use a pair of ATCs in my main system, the 15" bass units in my DBLs!

As you said before we all like different things :)

Would love to hear DBLs one day, having owned four sets of SBLs over the years I'm not sure how I've not done so thus far.

Anyway, this thread has got me thinking the SBLs should stay. Even got a "well, they look fine and are out of the way up against the wall like that" from my good lady :)

Vital I was inches from taking your SBL's, I just prefered a wood finish, but yours look pretty smart.
I have secured a walnut pair with MK2 drivers, arriving tomorrow.
I am surprised yours haven't been snapped up.

I changed Linn Kans tweeters to new Hiquphons and those are really good indeed. Interesting that Hiquphons sound better in SBLs also....

Vital I was inches from taking your SBL's, I just prefered a wood finish, but yours look pretty smart.
I have secured a walnut pair with MK2 drivers, arriving tomorrow.
I am surprised yours haven't been snapped up.

Excellent! What did they set you back might I ask?

advertisement

Back