advertisement

Naim SBL

Another topic.
Does anybody has new internal foam for SBL? What inside of the mid box.
It's a triple-1cm set; black-grey and falling apart after 18 years.

I've tried.
Simple serial resistor then a correct serial/paralel coulping.
I tried the normal and ultra-expensive Japanese resistors too.
Sound had a right blance but without miracle.
Seems that this way mixes the xover-sound a lot - otherwise electronically correct.

Hmm. It could be that the crossover relies on a non-flat impedance curve in the tweeter (or contain a zobel network that gets out of whack).

Resistors after the filter, as suggested by Julf, need to be arranged as an L-Pad so that the filter transfer function is unchanged. I prefer to put the resistor before the filter.

I finally received my SBL MKII (in fact MKI upgraded in MKII by changing the mid/bass driver)
they are beautiful
I do not yet have connected them to my system
I have to change the configuration of my living room to place them in front of a wall that goes well

just a question, they have bases filters
do you know if it is still possible to buy AUDIO42's v2 or v3 filters

There's (I hope ) some good reading here;http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=150459
On my DIY built PXO I reduced the tweeter by 1.5db with success, the values are in the thread.

Leeloo, I got lucky with ebay and my Audio42 PXO's. My DIY filters ousted a SNAXO/active set in every way except ultimate volume. If I were building again they'd be separate hi-low for bi-amping (like the Audio42)

me9apaje.jpg

a little bit dark
I will take more photos later

Did you set these up yourself and do the re-sealing etc.?

What did they replace and how do you find them?

I've a set arriving on Monday so looking forward to it.

Nice set up by the way........very tidy.

Hi kennyh,
yes I setup them myself
but they were ready to use
I don't have to install a new gasket kit for example

they are MKI upgraded with MKII bass driver
they replace NAIM INTRO2
I loved my CHEERY INTRO2 but I would like to change for SBL

Thanks for that, and yes I too have had a few Naim speakers, in fact these SBLs hopefully will replace my current Arivas if they cut it.

Mine are arriving in seperates form with original packaging etc., although gaskets and pads are all fitted, just need to do the silicone bit.......bought some today.

Will report back next week when I hear them for the first time.

hi to all...

I wanted to resume this old discussion to ask you for some suggestions.

I purchased a couple of SBLs in perfect condition about a year ago and I have taken care of them with all the advice I have read on this forum: mounted against a solid wall, restored the gasket, siliconed with new loctite ...

I'm really in love with it ... they're amazing ... amazing ...

Now I'm using them with Xover Avondale and the improvement has been enormous !!!

The only small flaw that I still find (if this can be defined) is that the HF are sometimes too pungent and I would like to find a way to make the sound sweeter and less aggressive (but always detailed).

The tweeters are new Scanspeak D2008 / 8511 taken in Naim by the old owner a couple of years ago ... so I think the tweeters are still in excellent shape.

On this discussion I read that some members have successfully used OW1 saying (thanks to their lower sensitivity 2db) that the sound has become more natural.

Now I was considering buying Hiquphon OW1 tweeters.

I'd like to know:
- Are they plug-n-play? Can I replace them with Scanspeaks without having to make changes to the Xover?
- Has anyone had experience with the sound performance? are they really sweeter and natural without losing detail?

Thank you
Angelo

What about your listening room? Believe me, you can spend ££££ with no effect trying to fix the SBLs treble. The fix in your room can be very simple and cost nothing except rearranging the furniture.

The first reflection point on the side walls is really important. To find that point imagine a line between your ears (when you're in your listening seat) and the tweeters. Now imagine drawing a triangle with that line as the base and the tip of the triangle touching the side wall. Then move the tip of the triangle along the wall until both sides of the triangle touch the side wall at the same angle. I stood with my back to the side wall and moved along it until I could see that I was roughly in the right place. If you have anyone to help then try using some string. Remember that it's the angle that is Important, not the length of the sides.

Once you've found that point, look at what's there. If it's just wall then you need to put something there that will damp out the treble, so something soft like a chair or a thick curtain. Another possibility is a bookcase filled with records / books etc. Be careful with the edges of the bookcase as even a narrow edge in exactly the wrong place can be enough.

SBLs and SL2s do have a sharp treble peak which means that you have to be a lot more careful with what's in your room than with other speakers.

I do sympathise with you, I've walked the same road with SBLs and spent ££££ trying to fix the treble. I ended up running them actively and changing them for SL2s but the room acoustics finally did it. Mind you, my system now sounds fantastic...

hi to all...

I wanted to resume this old discussion to ask you for some suggestions.

I purchased a couple of SBLs in perfect condition about a year ago and I have taken care of them with all the advice I have read on this forum: mounted against a solid wall, restored the gasket, siliconed with new loctite ...

I'm really in love with it ... they're amazing ... amazing ...

Now I'm using them with Xover Avondale and the improvement has been enormous !!!

The only small flaw that I still find (if this can be defined) is that the HF are sometimes too pungent and I would like to find a way to make the sound sweeter and less aggressive (but always detailed).

The tweeters are new Scanspeak D2008 / 8511 taken in Naim by the old owner a couple of years ago ... so I think the tweeters are still in excellent shape.

On this discussion I read that some members have successfully used OW1 saying (thanks to their lower sensitivity 2db) that the sound has become more natural.

Now I was considering buying Hiquphon OW1 tweeters.

I'd like to know:
- Are they plug-n-play? Can I replace them with Scanspeaks without having to make changes to the Xover?
- Has anyone had experience with the sound performance? are they really sweeter and natural without losing detail?

Thank you
Angelo

I found that the treble of my sbls improved much once my hicap was serviced. SBLs reveal what they get fed.

Don't mess with them, dampen the room a little but enjoy for what they are. You have to spend a lot of cash to better them in the right system.

thanks 2ManyBoxes ...

unfortunately my room is the living room where the whole family lives.

the room is 9mt x 4mt and the system is placed in the center of the long wall ... I am in front of it ... on the sides (in the short walls) I can't do anything because on one side I have the entrance door (large almost as much as the wall) and on the other side I have the kitchen.

the only thing I could do is put soundproofing panels behind the speakers and / or behind my listening point (basically behind my head).

my system is: RegaP6 (Ania + PhonoMC Rega) / Bare NDX / 252 / SC / 250.2 / NacA5. Just 252 and 250 was recapped by me 1 month ago...

advertisement

Back