advertisement

Naim price increase

I tried a boutique power cord (not Naim). No difference. Rien. Nada. A mate did something similar with similar results and was sufficiently angry at being duped as he saw it that he sent off a vitriolic email to the supplier. If the Naim one makes a difference to your Naim system, and it's worth the £400 to you, good. On all the equipment I have owned a decent quality IEC lead is good enough and boutique cables don't imnprove on things.

Oddly, the very few boutique power cords I've played with using assorted round and flat earth gear always sounded worse than the stock appliance cord that came with the gear. The differences weren't huge but enough to make any decision easy. Like most aftermarket add-ons, I think the companies just screw with design parameters enough to make a change in the sound hoping the end user will confuse a change with an improvement.

One exception was buying an uprated version of the stock Belden power cord that came with my Linn amps. I was careful to maintain the exact cable and plugs' catalog numbers with the only difference being a current rating increase with a change from 14 gauge to 12 gauge wire. The improvement in sound was small but audible and worth the $15 US I spent for each. However, in the case of Naim, nothing I've tried at any price beats the Volex or Mayor appliance cords that came free with my olive rig when new. TBH, I'd rather invest any serious money in better gear considering what you get in return with any cable whether power or interconnect.

regards,

dave

On the subject of Naim prices, I recently bought a second hand olive Flatcap for my 92/90 for £165.
Whenever I but a piece of equipment I always like to have a look "under the bonnet" so to speak.

I can't help thinking the Flatcap is doubtfull value for money. When I looked under the bonnet I had to go for a fag.

Just a torroid and a small pcb.

I was left wondering how they justify the price of these, much less the "improvement" in sound quality, which I can not hear.

On the subject of Naim prices, I recently bought a second hand olive Flatcap for my 92/90 for £165.
Whenever I but a piece of equipment I always like to have a look "under the bonnet" so to speak.

I can't help thinking the Flatcap is doubtfull value for money. When I looked under the bonnet I had to go for a fag.

Just a torroid and a small pcb.

I was left wondering how they justify the price of these, much less the "improvement" in sound quality, which I can not hear.

I thought the same a while back too. This was with a fc 2. I found it did make a noticeable difference to the preamp and more so the cd. But it was only 4 years old at the time.

But looking inside I couldn't help but be pissed at the price. Even though it did work!! (for me)

Also mate, your fc is likely to be well past the sell by date and will likely need a service.

There are plenty about who do a job for less than Naim and just as good.

If you can bare to part with more cash that is :(

advertisement

Back