advertisement

Naim price increase

Can you see that? over there..? That is a fool with more money than sense....someone who thinks he is judged by how much he spent on his hifi, otherwise known as paranoia, the most potent tool in naim's marketing arsenal.

And no, for those about to start the usual 'you just cant afford it' bollocks, this has nothing to do with envy, in fact, quite the opposite as I can only see these people as an object of ridicule. YMMV of course...

I have to say, even as a long-term Naim user, that £3640 for a CDX2 and £600 (!!!) for a Hiline is rather optimistic. And our old friend the NAP250 is now £3000!

The DAC on the other hand still looks good value considering.

Naim; if you have to ask the price, the next step is to walk out of the dealership upon hearing the cost ;).

Looking at the new 2011 pricelists, I wish those were the prices for Naim gear in Holland! :rolleyes:

And no, for those about to start the usual 'you just cant afford it' bollocks, this has nothing to do with envy, in fact, quite the opposite as I can only see these people as an object of ridicule. YMMV of course...
This would suggest that the substance of what one is getting from Naim does not quite match the price tags. Is this target of ridicule equally applicable to those who own expensive houses, exotic sports cars and trophy wives? For the latter, people tend to look on admiringly rather than with amusement.

Really James? Not round here. The Merc with the paunchy 50 yr old bloke and the bottle blonde 30 yr old generally gets sniggered at here in Yorkshire. Especially if she liberates him of the house after a year or two.

Actually I think these prices indicate that Naim purchasing is price independent. Last year I bought no Naim items, this year they are more money and I have bought an equal number. On that basis the price rise has had no negative effect on my Naim purchasing habits, and they can therefore increase their prices as much as they wish.

Really James? Not round here. The Merc with the paunchy 50 yr old bloke and the bottle blonde 30 yr old generally gets sniggered at here in Yorkshire. Especially if she liberates him of the house after a year or two.
I think it's a question of degree. Anna Nicole Smith and her vintage Texan billionnaire husband, yes. A 50 year-old with a well preserved wife who looks ten or twenty years younger, who am I to judge? Sniggering won't be my first reaction.

I think it's a question of degree. Anna Nicole Smith and her vintage Texan billionnaire husband, yes. A 50 year-old with a well preserved wife who looks ten or twenty years younger, who am I to judge? Sniggering won't be my first reaction.

Perhaps Naim is appealing to the 50 year old chap who doesn't have a trophy wife but hankers after a trophy something. Hello new 500 series :D

Less expensive than half your house, half your pension and cars..

Perhaps Naim is appealing to the 50 year old chap who doesn't have a trophy wife but hankers after a trophy something. Hello new 500 series :D

... and not seen by those inclined to snigger. Win-win, unless foolishly forum-parading. :D

500SL or 500 CL? Certainly not 500 from Salisbury :)

Curious...what's the exact break-point in price and who elected whom as the decision maker? In other words, if I spent $5,980 on a CDP let's say I'd just be "one of the guys" but if I spent $5,981 on a CDP I'd suddenly be a footballer, etc. OK...who decides?

Curious...what's the exact break-point in price and who elected whom as the decision maker? In other words, if I spent $5,980 on a CDP let's say I'd just be "one of the guys" but if I spent $5,981 on a CDP I'd suddenly be a footballer, etc. OK...who decides?
For you, Dave, I've decided anything up to $50,000 for a CDP is just being one of the boys. Best you move quickly and get there before you get left out.

For you, Dave, I've decided anything up to $50,000 for a CDP is just being one of the boys. Best you move quickly and get there before you get left out.

LOL...too rich for my blood;-)

I'm a bit old school (others might say tight-wad, penny-pincher, etc) - if something works and sounds great to you, why change it?

I think people just hate the way they always put their prices up, even in a recession. Then that makes people feel they can never aspire to owning the dream CD player/amp etc whatever that be a cd5i or a 300nap.

Judging by the difference of size in price increase's between the "budget" and the not so "budget" it's plain to see naim are putting people into social boxes here, ie; people who can spend 15k on a player wont really mind a extra 8 or 9 hundred, because they can already afford 15k and people who can afford a 1k amp might not mind the extra 45 pounds this time around, but the dream of every getting a 202/200 combo is sailing further£ and further£ away from them.

I don't see how they can afford to alienate customers in this day and age by tacking on dollars willy-nilly. I'm sure the numbers are what they are for a good reason. Whether folks like it of course is another matter.

HiFi should not be aspired to , it is a method of reproducing music , I'm listening to music on an old refurbed A&R A60 , via my PC into Wharfedale diamond 8.1 and its rocking my boat. If naim choose to chase the big money , thats their buisness (pun) and i really dont care , theres far better out there for less money.

This would suggest that the substance of what one is getting from Naim does not quite match the price tags. Is this target of ridicule equally applicable to those who own expensive houses, exotic sports cars and trophy wives? For the latter, people tend to look on admiringly rather than with amusement.
Well I suppose it depends on taking in, how many times you use it, including 'all the various described objects of desire' above-mentioned. P.S : I have known divorced men after the financial settlement, to crassly work out price - per use.

Actually divirced or soon-to-be-divorced men may be a key market. A mate did all the right stuff before he was divorced, ran an old banger, kept the money in the bank, did stuff to the house. His divorce came through, she took half the house, half the bank, not interested in the ratty old car, he needs that for work. That was an economy well made then. Should have had a half decent set of wheels. If he'd had a £20k stack of hifi I imagine that woold have been overlooked too.

advertisement

Back