advertisement

Naim Prefix Z-Foil upgrade

Oh dear.... Fully approved by P T Barnum and sponsored by kool aid I reckon!

$295 to change mains tap on transformer from 240 to 115V!!

$175 an hour labour!

What with those rates and customers who will believe that Z foil resistors will make a difference I'm plying my trade in the wrong country I believe...
BTW there's more chance of Hilary Clinton crashing into you in a school bus of her latest victims kidnapped from a pizza parlour than there is of Z foil resistors making any difference.

Just buy a better phono stage. The Prefix is nothing special.
Yes im aware there are many superior phono stages, but not many made by Naim that can get a power feed from my Nac 52 and sit inside my lp12 Plinth on my 10 phase mana stand and have an association with Doctor Who’s tardis. Money wise is my call and ill decide who i think is worth it.

Yes im aware there are many superior phono stages, but not many made by Naim that can get a power feed from my Nac 52 and sit inside my lp12 Plinth on my 10 phase mana stand and have an association with Doctor Who’s tardis. Money wise is my call and ill decide who i think is worth it.

Your call of course but you are being completely ripped off.

Your call of course but you are being completely ripped off.
Yes thanks for the heads up, I never thought I wouldn’t be! plus the return postage from NZ wont be cheap either and the thieving gypsy government taxes etc. I haven’t decide what to do yet, i started the thread to fine these things out.
Living this far away (NZ) and now that Focaim audio have pulled support locally i really have few choices , i need to research an overseas service agent.
So yes taken on board cheers.

I would recommend you try the RSL phono boards for your 52. Kit makes phono boards for the 52 now. Can return if you don’t like it.

Btw, I do think the zfoils do make a difference. It’s a small difference in comparison to ditching the Naim boards for something like the RSL, however. I’ve compared Naim boards with and without zfoils.

In any case, you can’t lose…you’ve got a 52…

Given you are in NZ and have to send it overseas, and are asking about mods (which Class A will not do as I understand it, as they are an approved Naim service agent so standard is the only way) then I would recommend Witch Hat for the Prefix job. It would be worth talking to them about it. I am sure JJ has things up his sleeve for Prefix.

As @Plink points out, RSL have fairly recently taken the 12/32/42/62/72 plug in MC cards and re-made them for 82/52. This has to be worth a try. There are reviews on here and elsewhere giving them praise, mine included. For me they were a step change in a good way in every way. If you like the cohesive "flat earth" (congested) nature of the Prefix you may not go for the more expansive soundstage, detailed RSL cards, or you may just love it. I would suggest you give them a go and if you like them, don't worry about the Prefix mods, if you don't, return them and talk to Witch Hat about the Prefix!

Looks AVoptions are a Naim sanctioned service centre and the only one in the US, I guess they do extras on the side.

So decided to get a standard service done over here, Ive been in contact with a person who is very familiar with it. To send overseas is just a headache for all involved. Probably get it done when i get the LP12’s bearing upgraded (got to get that part past SHSBO), so hoping all done at the same time.
Thank you for the upgrade suggestions and im sure for the most part they beat the prefix hands down, ive herd many that do! For the now Id just like to keep my Naim system original as it was there top performer from a time when people mattered including there international clients.
With the Lyra Kleos Sl, Aro, Armageddon it seems to hold up for the most part.
Thank you for the input. Most interesting :)

For what it’s worth, although I am not looking to replace my Prefix right now, when funds allow I might audition the Lejonklou Entity. It’s being touted as an alternative to the Urika. The Urika would have been on my radar especially at the current used cost but it’s dependence on a Radikal to power it rules it out for me. Good look with the service, i think it will be worthwhile.

Even though the Prefix has miniscule constant current demands, it is extraordinary sensitive to the quality of the PS...the powered input on the 552 for instance was quite uninspiring when i tried it, and even a dedicated Hicap was better. But the Prefix really only came to its own when a Supercap or better PS was used. I originally used a SC, which was replaced by an even better Epona Acoustics (by Tanais Fox),supply that was modded to have choke regulation.

The best way to lift the prefix is to improve the PS. Of the third party options I preferred the TPX4 modded HC over the teddy pardo. Never tried a Naim DR.

The hiss won't go away since that's a function of quantum mechanics in the load resistance but you can get a decent lift in resolution by eliminating power supply noise.

Just for the record I’m running prefix off the SC PS from the nac 52 which dates from 2000. The prefix has the RF mod and a new black snaic. Has Zero hiss???
In fact it has a very low noise floor, sure not 500 serious low but good enough. I do have a very serious power spur which helps i guess. No ring mains and tap on piggy none fused plugs (Type 1) cheers

Even though the Prefix has miniscule constant current demands, it is extraordinary sensitive to the quality of the PS...the powered input on the 552 for instance was quite uninspiring when i tried it, and even a dedicated Hicap was better. But the Prefix really only came to its own when a Supercap or better PS was used. I originally used a SC, which was replaced by an even better Epona Acoustics (by Tanais Fox),supply that was modded to have choke regulation.

I'm going to show my ignorance here so please excuse me. Does the SC supply the Prefix with two 24vdc rails and the HiCap supplies just one? I'm not sure how they are wired.

I'm with SQ here, splitting the power rails of each channel of the prefix into two for the front and back of the cct, with films caps, and good local power rail caps really does make a difference.

advertisement

Back