advertisement

Naim Prefix Z-Foil upgrade

MrPinkEyes

Come on Pooh
Hi, just considering said upgrade from AVOptions in the US. Has anyone done this? What benefits did it bring? Rf mod and black snaic already in place.
Cheers

Just had a look at their servicing prices:eek:

In most cases more than the actual market value of the equipment!

In that scheme of things I imagine you should expect very little for your additional $175 for the cryogenically treated z-foils.

I did this, it did seem to get a little more out of the Prefix, which was already quieter with a touch more groove than the 72 internal S cards I was running, but ultimately I found RSL cards were a much bigger leap forward. YMMV and if you are wedded to Prefix I think this is worth a try. I still have the z foils kicking about somewhere, should pass them on in the DIY classifieds really, I keep too much stuff I never intend to, sigh

The best way to lift the prefix is to improve the PS. Of the third party options I preferred the TPX4 modded HC over the teddy pardo. Never tried a Naim DR.

The hiss won't go away since that's a function of quantum mechanics in the load resistance but you can get a decent lift in resolution by eliminating power supply noise.

Split the rails between the front end and back end with four ALWSRs would be where I would go, but as I said, I stopped when I realised this is, essentially, what RSL did for you with separate regulation on the card, better local regulation trumping piddling about down the length of wet string with external regulation :p

Interesting! I'm minded to try out a pair of those MC boards having just looked them up on the website.

Yikes have AV options cornered the US market? I am guessing but it looks like shipping to Class A would save you a heap and reduce the chance of freezer burn :D

I’m running the prefix off the 52 Aro,Lyra Kleos SL seems very quiet to me already, would a prefix ever need to be serviced by any chance? if I z-foil I may get them to do it to suit the cart and a full service at the same time if needed. I say this only because if it goes I may as well. It Sounds great but I’d like to hear what could be “squeeze my lemon ”out.it’s the only bit of the system that hasn’t been fully serviced and it’s serial number is 1093..so from 95.
I’m in NZ so shipping it is.

cornered the US market

Whats option for EU ?
There's loads of Naim kit out here and there, can't imagine moving kit in and out of Brexit is tempting.

My old 180/62 was looked after by the then German distributor many years back, maybe they are a viable solution for Naim servicing ?

Whats option for EU ?
There's loads of Naim kit out here and there, can't imagine moving kit in and out of Brexit is tempting.

My old 180/62 was looked after by the then German distributor many years back, maybe they are a viable solution for Naim servicing ?

No idea I am afraid, UK is Class A for Naim approved, Witch Hat for ex-Naim, I suspect both could advise on costs and shipping requirements from EU. It isn't like it isn't possible, it is just that it got more complex. As to whether there is anybody in EU that has suitable equipment and experience, there very well may be but I have no idea who they are, sorry.

And here was I thinking that AVOptions biggest piss take was them taking JV's old twisted pair appliance hookup wire recipe, sticking it in a freezer, and then charging many hundreds for.

I wonder if this is typically what happens when an established Naim service tech goes over to the dark side?
I don't see others doing the cryo stuff, so perhaps not, or perhaps AV Options are "leading the way"? :p

I don't see others doing the cryo stuff, so perhaps not, or perhaps AV Options are "leading the way"? :p
Leading the way down the garden path, more like.

I wonder if Chris West keeps samples of his genetic material stored at Cryogenics International?

There could well be a whole army of extreme cold climate tolerant foo merchants within a few generations.

Oh dear.... Fully approved by P T Barnum and sponsored by kool aid I reckon!

$295 to change mains tap on transformer from 240 to 115V!!

$175 an hour labour!

What with those rates and customers who will believe that Z foil resistors will make a difference I'm plying my trade in the wrong country I believe...
BTW there's more chance of Hilary Clinton crashing into you in a school bus of her latest victims kidnapped from a pizza parlour than there is of Z foil resistors making any difference.

Just buy a better phono stage. The Prefix is nothing special.

there's more chance of Hilary Clinton crashing into you in a school bus of her latest victims kidnapped from a pizza parlour

GTY_hillary_clinton_jtm_140606_12x5_992.jpg

advertisement

Back