advertisement

Naim power/pre amps with other brands

Petter

Have any some experience with mix Naim power or pre with other power/pre brands ? like Naim Power and a vacuum tube pre or versus

particularly the power amp...or is this a big no :eek:

I ask here since i dont see any point of asking this question on the Naim Forum:rolleyes:

I've never had any issues mixing naim equipment with other brands in any combination.

The official line is that Naim pres on other people's power amps is fine, but other pres on naim power amps might be problematic.

I've had Expo pres, a Rothwell Indus passive pre, a clamshell CD player and various other non naim things on the front of my 135's all without incident.

I'm using a modded 42 to drive my valve amps and it works just fine, much better than the Croft I was using before.

I have tried Naim preamp/Hicap with Exposure poweramp - one word: disappointing

Much preferred brand pre/power with brand interconnect

What about a Naim pre with Linn power-amp used to power aktiv speakers? It seems against nature, but it would be interesting to know what it sounded like. For example, a NAC 202 with a Majik 6100. I ask because Linn have dropped their pre-amp from the Majik range, which seems a strange move.

oki ,,,it was the NAP 200 with a Audio Valve Eclipse pre that was on my mind

Just come up as an possible opportunity:)and the Eclipse is very commonly used with transistor power amps

I would not buy this combo blind

If allready sourced you could get a cheaper matching Naim preamp as a start.

Why not try a good integrated if speakers are easy ?

Naim XS or 5i, Heed Obelisk, LFD zero etc..

if you've heard the pre amp and like it ...go for it , the naim power amp will be the limiting factor and as its further down the chain , thats better...

I have the 200/202 combo w/Teddy Cap...

But have had a demo of the Eclipse in combo with some others transitors amps:p

and the the possibility of a bargain is there

This was my first "toe in the water" away from the Linn/ Naim studio. I bought an Icon Audio valve phono stage which has a volume control and puts out 1.2 V which is the same as a Naim Pre and put it direct into my Naim 250.(no pre-amp)
Bloody great! Mind you it has precipitated some major change (funded by the sale of the 52/Scap) in my system and while I respect Linn and Naim I doubt their kit will feature in my system in a year or so.

i use Cyrus preamps and Naim avondale active power amps. I think it sounds great.

also using cyrus with 140 in second system.

552 fronting two E.A.R. monoblocks. Magic ! Not sure a valved pre. into s/s power amp's makes a lot of sense, though.

I don't know

In every regard a decent SS power amp will absolutely eclipse even the best valve gear in every aspect of performance except "desirable" valve colouration.

If you happen to like the valve sound at rock concert SPL's then valve pre with solid state power amp grunt is your only option.

I am getting the sweetest sound ever by driving a Conrad Johnson MV50 tube amp with my NAC72 + Hicap. The MV50 puts out about 45+45 watts, it truly has a nice tube sound.

Of course the NAC72 is also an exceptional preamp and with the MV50 it is the nicest sounding combination I have ever had since I started in this hobby 40 years ago.

I use an adapter cable from the good folks at Flashback to interface between the hicap and MV50.

Louballoo

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I was wondering about trying alternative power amps to a 200 with my NAC202. Could anyone tell me if there be any issues using a (non-Naim) dual mono power amp with a 202?

Resurrecting an old thread here, but I was wondering about trying alternative power amps to a 200 with my NAC202. Could anyone tell me if there be any issues using a (non-Naim) dual mono power amp with a 202?

Why do you want to change the power amp ? In that combination, I'd say it was the 202 that was the limiting factor.

That's interesting Peter. But didn't you shift to an Avondale power amp before moving to a 282? I was thinking of trying another power amp because I say one that was much more powerful and dual mono. I was wondering what both those qualities would bring to the party, although its more curiosity than need in this case.

No, I went 282 first. Not that I'm saying that's what you should do, but it worked very well with the 200 and a Hicap. If you want to stay on the naim way it's a possible solution. I don't have any naim now (I still have the 282 but it's not in the system).

There are solutions out there that offer as good or better SQ than naim with a better value for money. You just have to hunt them down, but with a 200, I'd look for a "better" preamp before getting a "better" amp.

advertisement

Back