advertisement

NAIM Owners - please help

Hello, I'm looking for some advice from NAIM Owners.

I have an offer to buy this union:

2x nap90
1x nac92 z MM
1x nac92R z MC phono
2 x remote
1x flatcap
1x flatcap 2
1x CD 3.5

Everything after service and refresher.

Seller asking 2.000.

What do you thinking?

Thanks for any support.

Can I ask why are you thinking of buying this?

For £2000 you can buy a really nice system, which could better any of the combinations from the equipment you are thinking of buying.

If you are just thinking of selling on, the FC2 and CD3.5should be easy to move on, not so much with the rest of it. In theory, it should be worth the £2000 but maybe no more.

A 250/HC/32.5 or 82/250/HC could be found for the same price.

Can I ask why are you thinking of buying this?

For £2000 you can buy a really nice system, which could better any of the combinations from the equipment you are thinking of buying.

If you are just thinking of selling on, the FC2 and CD3.5should be easy to move on, not so much with the rest of it. In theory, it should be worth the £2000 but maybe no more.

A 250/HC/32.5 or 82/250/HC could be found for the same price.
I would also prefer by far a 32.5/Hicap/250 too for the same amount of money. More power, more music and, most importantly, more fun !

None of that stuff represents the best kit that Naim know how to make, to put it kindly. I think you can get a much better sound for two-grand with less boxes.

What speakers do you have? NAP90 is a very small amplifier. It's the power section from a Nait.

There's a 32.5/110 auction on ebay at the moment. I'd rather have that instead of the OPs list of amplification.

32.5/110 probably needs a service as well though.
The 110 will give you 85% of what the 250 will give for a fraction of the price.
I’m actually using my 110 to drive some isobaric monitors of 4 ohms impédance and it’s surprisingly working fine !

I like Naim but was never fond of the 90 combination. I found it thin sounding and underpowered. I’d go higher up for power, probably starting 82/180.

Hello, I'm looking for some advice from NAIM Owners.

I have an offer to buy this union:

2x nap90
1x nac92 z MM
1x nac92R z MC phono
2 x remote
1x flatcap
1x flatcap 2
1x CD 3.5

Everything after service and refresher.

Seller asking 2.000.

What do you thinking?

Thanks for any support.

I would pass and get an integrated amp and CD player instead. 2 boxes - neat, tidy and great sound. Plenty of options, Naim(5i series) or non-Naim.

Massive Naim fan here, but that collection is like bringing together their worst ever products. They are not bad per se, but not up to the rest of their gear although the CD3 is OK.

Not sure what you are after (as in why you are looking at 2 amps), but as others have said a later Naim Nait 5i and a CD5 will set you back around £1K and be a far better system, you can add a phono stage of your choosing if you want. Or you can look for Olive 82/HC/180 or possibly and 82/HC/250 if you have a little more budget and these will be massively better than the 90/92 etc. Or you could look outside of the Naim brand as £2K will get you a lot of CD/integrated amp combos that will comfortably out perform those in the OP.

None of that stuff represents the best kit that Naim know how to make, to put it kindly. I think you can get a much better sound for two-grand with less boxes.

Totally agree - some even say Naim didn't want to go down that route but commercial pressure decided otherwise.

92/90 is a decent combo, I had one for a few years along with a flatcap; certainly not Naims finest hour but not terrible either.

Hi,

Far to many boxes and you could do better as has been said above.

A Naim 250, 32 or 72 with a HiCap would be way better than that and yes you would need to buy a CD player however there are plenty to be had.

For a one box solution a Naim SuperNait 2, like there is in the classifieds at around £1800, and yes I know the seller, he is a good guy, would again be way better than all that lot, again you would need to get a CD player, plenty around.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-supernait-2-2019.245711/

My opinion, buy something newer like the SuperNait 2 or the older 32 or 72/Hicap/250, both are really good and will hold themselves against or better many of todays offerings.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back