advertisement

Naim Olive - Streaming?

Romann

Hi All,

I've been searching through past Threads but I am unable to find a suitable answer.

I have a Naim Olive System: 52/Supercap/135s/CD 3.5/LP12/Isobariks. Mostly vinyl as source but several hundred CDs too. I bought Mrs T a Naim Muso QB for Christmas for the kitchen and she loves streaming Apple Music through it - I quite like it too. Mrs T likes the convenience of not having to find an album and then putting on the main system and wants a way of having access to the main system so she can play Apple Music/Internet Radio when she likes.

Is there a way I can add some sort of streaming device to the main system that wouldn't cost the earth? If so, how do I connect it?

Many thanks,

Tom

Some options I can think of:

* ChromeCast Audio (used since no longer made), then cast to it from your phone, tablet, Chrome browser. Use a 3.5mm to DIN cable to connect.

* Raspberry Pi with a DAC hat, well under £100. Use a RCA to DIN cable to connect.

* Cheap/used tablet. Use a long 3.5mm to DIN cable to connect.

* Cheap/used laptop into a cheap USB DAC.

I chose the second option and went off the deep end with it. I 3D printed a mini sleeve (Headline/NAPSC size), custom sled, got some olive fascia material, an RPi 3 B+, IQaudIO DAC+ and made a modern Olive streamer:

32644041317_5d4a2e2184_c.jpg

46862547744_1f93f73fce_c.jpg

The nice neat box is really cool isn't it?

However, it seems to be a booja30 one off so unless he would like to do a limited edition run the rest of us must do otherwise.

I have used a Chromecast audio in the past to stream BBC iPlayer to my Nac 62 and for the bit rate available found it perfectly adequate so no reason to suppose it won't handle Apple Music from a phone or tablet. It is miniscule and once set up can probably be made to 'disappear' amongst the gubbins at the back of the rack.

Available new for 22quid here -

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/google-c...NMA0ZkK3n3LO8DWEqs1UgmWlAHAlc1oMaAgo2EALw_wcB

Probably overkill, but I got David Lane at Flashback Sales to make me a very nice mini jack to (naim style) din plug lead in his premier cable so I can be comfortable that the output from the Chromecast is not being compromised in that department.

Jim

Is there a way I can add some sort of streaming device to the main system that wouldn't cost the earth? If so, how do I connect it?
I think you need to define what you mean by costing the earth? In other words, what’s your budget. In its day, that was Naim’s top of the range system, and putting a very cheap digital source in front of something so revealing might not sound too nice, although it will at least get you up and running.
Regarding connections, assuming the streaming source you buy includes a DAC, it will have an analogue output, so just connect it to a spare input on your preamp.
If you want the exact same functionality as you have with the Muso, a Naim streamer as a source for your main system will give you that, and will allow you to control the two devices from the same app. They will also play in sync using the ‘Multiroom’ facility. Naim’s entry level streamer/DAC is the ND5XS2 which costs about £2k. Of course, there are alternatives from other brands at any price you can think of, from about £20 up to £50k.

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies and ideas. That little Olive Box looks cool Booja.

I should have said that I am very happy with my current main system and how it sounds. I haven't been tempted to go the digital source until Mrs T is asking for the same elsewhere in the house. I did wonder if putting a cheap digital source would sound awful and didn't want to waste any money in finding out but Jim's idea that he uses through his 62 sounds like a very cheap way to find out.

Naim's entry level streamer as mentioned by Whatisnaim sounds good. I might try and have an audition of one before I jump. Either that - or just another Muso in the lounge...

Thanks again guys - really appreciate your help.

Tom

Squeezebox Touch. Dirt cheap used. Easy to use. Use the analogue out into the Naim 52.

I used it with a 72 with fabulous results. Indeed, so fabulous I ultimately flogged my vinyl.

Squeezebox Touch. Dirt cheap used. Easy to use. Use the analogue out into the Naim 52.

I used it with a 72 with fabulous results. Indeed, so fabulous I ultimately flogged my vinyl.

+ 1. Works very well. Even better (arguably) is to use the optical, spdif or USB outputs into the DAC of your choice. An extraordinary product, wall of fame stuff. Way ahead of the game when it came out, and still does things that many manufacturers, including naim, struggle with.

Squeezebox touch works well (especially into a good dac) but as I recall you need a computer somewhere on your network running the squeezebox server for it to work.

I found the Chromecast Audio less bother (and cheaper). Assuming you have some device and suitable software you can use to cast (such as a phone with a spotify account) then its very cheap and you can spend the money on a decent dac.

Of course assuming you have that phone or tablet then there are various dacs available that you can plug the device into via a usb connection. I've found this to be a simple solution for streaming with no network drop outs (I use a chord hugo this way).

Just buy a Sonos Connect and plug it directly into your 52. I had one into my 252. Control from your iPhone / iPad. An alternative (just as good) would be a Yamaha WXC-50. You’ll be amazed.

Don’t forget Apple Airport express. You can plug it in and forget it or connect it via a DAC. Drop me a pm and I can send you one to try for postage.

I use Chord Mojo into my 72. Ipod touch/iphone into Mojo gives bit perfect output from Spotify/tidal etc. Spotify has built in remote control, not sure about the others.

Don’t forget Apple Airport express. You can plug it in and forget it or connect it via a DAC. Drop me a pm and I can send you one to try for postage.

This is what I use on a similar system as yours. I use Airfoil to stream all the audio from the Mac and iPhone. It sounds fine even via its analog out, but I use it mostly for ‘listen again’ radio and testing mix balances from the studio.

Stephen

The reason I liked the Sonos box for example is that Spotify etc runs on that as opposed to your phone / iPad, which is just used as a controller. It’s far more stable and flexible.

Afternoon all,

Thank you for all your responses and advice. Quite a selection to consider. Spike - very kind offer. I'll do some digging around the options above and see what I can come up with.

Tom

Tom, I agree with others about the Sonos Connect. It's very, very easy to use and the app you control it with is bulletproof.

A better-sounding but more complicated solution would be an Allo Digione Signature (with power supply of your choice) into a low-cost DAC with digital volume control, such as the Topping D50. I suggest getting a DAC with volume control because it allows you to send fewer volts to your 52, thus yielding more usable range in the NAC's own volume pot and possibly avoiding any low-level balance issues. (My 282 has this.)

From there, the world's your oyster. I use a Sonore ultraRendu, running Roon, into an RME ADI-2 DAC -- this is excellent and I wager it would be very competitive with far more costly gear.

Last edited:
Have two full Naim olive amplifier systems (52/SC/2x135 and 82/HC or Teddy DualCap/180).

Have used a RipNAS Statement 4TB with a Logitech SB Touch connected to the preamp directly. Sounded very good, however the SB Touch remote control via Ipad apps was sometimes slow and tedious.

Still have the SB system available but then I red about the Audirvana software, bought a license and installed it on my Macbook Air. Copied all my music from the RipNAS to a 5TB USB hard disk and now feed this music via the MacBook Air/Audirvana over a Soekris DAC 1321 into the 52 or 82. This works really well, can be remote controlled via decent Audirvana Ipad and Iphone apps and sounds pretty good.

However, soon I will check out a Lindemann Networkplayer or Bridge (https://lindemann-audio.de/products/limetree-series/network/?lang=en) to find out if my 5TB music USB hard disk runs sufficiently via that option. When this is the case I’m tempted to buy one.

... An alternative (just as good) would be a Yamaha WXC-50. You’ll be amazed.

Seconded, the app is good and sound is a delight. I have one feeding a NAIT 3 and it just works without any fuss or challenge to connect to your network.

advertisement

Back