advertisement

Naim NDX/NDS and Teddy PSU issues

legzr1

pfm Member
Long-winded post that probably has a simple answer especially from those with experience of the Naim streamers used with Teddy psu’s. But, the more detail I add now the less people will spend wasting their time with ‘have you switched it on?’ Etc.

I own and use an NDX streamer with a Teddy XPS PSU and a Teddy burndy single cable with great results.
However, the bug bit and I’ve bought a used NDS from a (really decent) PFM member. Actually, the NDX and TP XPS came from members here too.

Issue - the TP xpS + TP burndy work brilliantly with the NDX.
The NDS came without a PSU. However, I was under the impression that the same XPS + burndy would work with the NDS (with the plug in socket 2 on the rear of the NDS).

The problem is that the NDS starts up, functions correctly, finds network and will output a digital signal.
It will NOT output an analogue signal. I’m using non- Naim amps so use RCA phone’s.
I’ve tried every combination in the front panel config, phono disabled, enabled, din + phono and still no analogue output.
A clue to the issue may be that the green Naim logo is not lit either. But, I’ve gone down a rabbit hole of internet searches with some mentioning pressing the logo to get it out of mute but I was under the impression that function was for the early 272, SN, uniti etc.

Another presumption I’ve made is believing that the TP XPS + burndy will be directly compatible with the NDS. Have I got this wrong?

Any help, tips or even the correct answer greatly appreciated - I was so looking forward to getting the NDS up and running.

I’ve sent the Teddy Pardo website an email too with a request for help.

A post I made asking for help on the Naim forum lasted 15 minutes before being pulled - fair enough I suppose. It was a little cheeky…

Can you post pics of how you have it cabled? Teddy is your best bet.

From memory cos all my Naim gear is gone, I had same as you. Might help others to help you:

Check 4.4 you want Phono. Check 4.6 you want Enabled = No
https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/def...nloads/files/nds_reference-manual_issue1l.pdf

Apologies if obvious, pic of cabling and blank plug in.

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been through the manual around 30 times and that’s basically how I have the NDS wired up - TP XPS feeding socket 1, Naim bung in socket 2.

When you say:
“Check 4.6 you want Enabled = No”, do you mean “Yes”?

hi, I think you’ll find the NDS needs two power supplies not just the one. Teddy Pardo can supply the other one you need.

Here you go.
https://teddypardo.com/product/teddyxps-plus/
Thanks,

Already on the case re: XPSplus but I’m sure a TP XPS is capable of powering the NDS by itself when using the supplied Naim bung in socket 2. The ‘plus’ just allows you to separate the digital and analogue sections with whatever improvements that brings.

The help is appreciated, thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been through the manual around 30 times and that’s basically how I have the NDS wired up - TP XPS feeding socket 1, Naim bung in socket 2.

When you say:
“Check 4.6 you want Enabled = No”, do you mean “Yes”?
You want analogue out to phono and digital out turned off, so change from yes to no. Bound to be an NDS owner along shortly.

Teddy is usually good at replying quick but bear in mind time difference.

No worries, I’m still at the Teddy XPS/ NDX stage..... can’t decided wether to go same route as you, with perhaps a 555PS or for a NDX2...

How old is your Teddy XPS? I purchased an NDX2 a few months ago and thought I'd use my ~10 year-old Teddy XPS with it but learned the older ones won't power it. The new ones will, he said, and he offered to take the old one on trade at a fair price. I still may do this.

You want analogue out to phono and digital out turned off, so change from yes to no. Bound to be an NDS owner along shortly.

Teddy is usually good at replying quick but bear in mind time difference.

Thanks,
Got you now. I’ve tried disabling digital out and enabling phono out, tried phono + din and tried cycling the option several times with no luck.

I misread your sentence as I need enable phono-no which made no sense!

thanks again

How old is your Teddy XPS? I purchased an NDX2 a few months ago and thought I'd use my ~10 year-old Teddy XPS with it but learned the older ones won't power it. The new ones will, he said, and he offered to take the old one on trade at a fair price. I still may do this.
Good point, does the XPS have a serial number underneath, the older ones do not, I think Teddy told me this.

No worries, I’m still at the Teddy XPS/ NDX stage..... can’t decided wether to go same route as you, with perhaps a 555PS or for a NDX2...
My choice was NDX2 or NDS using my current TP XPS with a possible upgrade to TP XPSplus to split the power feed in the (very) near future.

The newer streaming board in the NDX2 wasnt really an issue for me so went for the NDS.

I like what Naim can do, I’ve loved the NDX but their PSU pricing takes some swallowing!

An excellent point and actually spot on - just received word from Teddy Pardo and exchanged a few messages with the answer….

The XPS I have is too old and he’s actually surprised it has powered my NDX - he thinks it must be very marginal and no way would it supply enough current for both sides of the NDS.

So, I’m happy I have a solution whilst not too happy with the outcome.

I’m now sitting with an NDX which shouldn’t be working and a new (to me) NDS that I can’t power up correctly.
I have some searching and more buying to do it seems. Yair from TP also made the offer of p/ex for a newer XPS. Haven’t got a price or timeline yet. Think I might just go for it and get the XPSplus from the classifieds while I’m at it. Sell the NDX and try to recover some funds….

This bloody hobby!

Thank you for the replies

I replied on the naim forum but it was all deleted, but it looks like you are sorted now, but basically I asked now old your xps was as I knew the older ones won't work with the NDS

I replied on the naim forum but it was all deleted, but it looks like you are sorted now, but basically I asked now old your xps was as I knew the older ones won't work with the NDS
I appreciate the effort.

I caught a couple of replies suggesting config settings, pressing the Naim logo etc before it was (quite rightly) binned. I missed your reply but you were spot on so thanks again.

I'm not sure if this kind of discussion has ever been accepted before Focal ownership or before Teddy kit appearance, there was indeed Avondale before that and others too.

***We do not permit discussion of modifications to internal components of Naim equipment and this also extends, at the Moderators’ discretion, to products from other manufacturers and electronic DIY discussion. This also applies to discussion of companies who undertake unauthorised modifications to Naim equipment.***

A little closure for the thread and very good news…

With the help of Chris and Ewen (members on here) I came home tonight armed with a couple of suggestions.

Cut to the chase, I was using the wrong bloody Burndy!
The Naim supplied Burndy looked nicer, was beefier and slotted straight into the TP XPS so it HAD to be the correct lead didn’t it?
Epic amateur mistake.

My TP XPS using the TP-supplied XPS burndy together with the Naim plug in socket 2 has the NDS up and running and sounding excellent.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Good news indeed..

And to be honest I’m with you in thinking the burndys would be compatible.

I will count myself fortunate then that the WH Morgana I purchased to sit between the 252 and a TPSC works without a hitch......

It will run fine with just one and the link plug fitted, but for an upgrade running 2 or a 555 type power supply to separate the digital and analogue sides is possible

I thought my NDS sounded fine with just one XPSdr
Then I tried it with a 555ps
What an improvement, and no going back....so don't try it if you cannot afford the upgrade

advertisement

Back