advertisement

Naim nap180 bias difficulties-help

Jia ren

So I wanted to measure the bias of my amp, I pronged the circuit as shown in the pic. Please help, it is serviced by a tech and in a month I want to bring it back to tantalums.
image0.jpg
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Those two legs of the resistors are joined together on the PCB hence no voltage. I would recommend you not altering anything unless you're 100% sure of what you are doing. Making a mistake on this could be costly.
Especially, don't use the current ranges on your meter when it is attached across any of those resistors.

Those two legs of the resistors are joined together on the PCB hence no voltage. I would recommend you not altering anything unless you're 100% sure of what you are doing. Making a mistake on this could be costly.
Especially, don't use the current ranges on your meter when it is attached across any of those resistors.
oh,okay. Any tips to how to check the bias on my unit, I checked and it the boards is NAPA6/3

If you attach the black probe to the other end of the resistor it is currently attached to you will be measuring the voltage across one 0.22 ohm emitter resistor.
The post by #5 by @PaulMB here explains how:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/nap140-diy-servicing.123132/

Again, if it's working, leave well alone unless you're sure.
I saw a lot of method, and that too, just measure across one emitter resistor instead of two, then determine if it needs more or less. But seing that you can also do the one on the right is also interesting. But what if I want to measure across two resistors? I’m guessing hook up to the one that is next to it?

The two emitter resistors are the one furthest right and the one furthest left of the four. If you want to measure across both then connect to the front of the rightmost and back of the leftmost.

EDIT: this is on the NAPA6/3 - others may be different.

The two emitter resistors are the one furthest right and the one furthest left of the four. If you want to measure across both then connect to the front of the rightmost and back of the leftmost.

EDIT: this is on the NAPA6/3 - others may be different.
Thank you, so it is the most left and the most right. Front of the most left and the rear of the most right.

advertisement

Back