advertisement

Naim NAP160 help

I need some info about the Motorola MR2002S rectifiers please. The diode symbol on the blue ceramic part of the body POINTS towards the metal threaded stud. Are these therefore CATHODE STUD rectifiers?

Fych4kU

Last edited:
If the amp works then leave those diodes alone. They're just stud diodes and it won't matter which type they are as they're insulated from the chassis anyway. Standard practice was to replace them with modern bridge rectifiers when they fail.

If the amp works then leave those diodes alone. They're just stud diodes and it won't matter which type they are as they're insulated from the chassis anyway. Standard practice was to replace them with modern bridge rectifiers when they fail.

Thank you for the advice.
I wish to keep the power circuit original, without rewiring it using a bridge rectifier. The rectifier diodes may well be fine, but I just wanted to establish what type they are anyway!

Fych4kU

Last edited:
I have just disconnected the two pairs of + and - voltage 2.8mm connectors from the circuit boards, so that if there was a fault in the power section, it wouldn't blow the boards or the output devices. Everything looks good when slowly powered up with a Variac. No nasty flashes, bangs or wallops! I didn't actually expect that anyway.
I am getting just under 80vdc between the red and black cable ends which are currently disconnected from the circuit boards. So it looks to me as if the rectifiers are still fine. They certainly were the last time I used the amplifier, but it's been quite a while. Anyway it's all looking good if that voltage is ok...

advertisement

Back