advertisement

Naim NAP 155 XS power into 4 ohms

wcavanagh

pfm Member
Hi,

I'm researching speakers for my next short-list and two I'd like to try are the Monitor Audio Silver 8 & 10 with the following specs:

Sensitivity (1W@1M)
90dB

Nominal Impedance
4 Ohms

Recommended Amplifier Requirements (RMS)
80 - 200W

Does anyone know the power output of the NAP 155 XS into 4 ohms? The Naim website only lists the 8 ohm power rating (60 watts) and I understand that I can't simply double the 8 ohm figure to arrive at the 4 ohm figure.

Thanks!

If it is designed to drive 4 ohms why not?. If it isn't change your plans cutting your cloth accordingly

I had a NAP150x powering Dynaudio Focus 160s (nominally 4 ohm but dip to around 2.5 ohms at some frequencies). It had no real issues and was very enjoyable. I have just moved to a NAP200 as I wanted stronger bass control and the Dynaudios are a bit needy in terms of power. The NAP200 has added something all through the range, but the NAP150X was far from an issue.
Not sure if that helps you but there might be some read across to your position

The nap155xs was desinged to power the Naim Ovator S-400 which is a 4 ohm load so I would guess no problems.

On older Naim amps the Amp number = total power into 4 ohms.

e.g. A NAP250 was measured at 70W into 8 ohm, but 125W into 4. Double that for 2 channels and hey, 250!

I think later amps such as the NAP100 quoted it into 8 ohms, so would actually be a lot more powerful under this naming schema.

Either way it's a Naim amp - it'll handle 4 ohm loads happily.

advertisement

Back