advertisement

Naim Nap 120

Svein

pfm Member
Most of the threads here about the Nap 120 are read with interest. I have used this amp for while. What a great amplifier. Funky and dynamic with great transients and superb timing, which make it sound accurate and controlled as well. It plays with enthusiasm and never give up regardsless and can sound sweet, but also fierce when needed - impressive. The Nap 120 I use now are serviced by Naim in the late 1980's. I have replaced the main capacitors with BHC 10000uf/40v and a Kemet 3300uf/40v for preamp psu. The fuses at the speaker output were removed btw.
By coincidence another Nap 120 landed here. I don't think it has been connected since it left 11 Salt Lane. From the pics below you can see it has leaking capacitor(s) The 10uf tantal caps are rated at 16v. It's not easy to get it serviced from here and I wonder what is needed to get it up and run again safely?

12004_zpscpoqvjig.jpg

12001_zpskzq52ys8.jpg

12002_zpseuczcpen.jpg

I have a working NAP120 sitting on my spares shelf, along with two NAC12's and a NAC22.

I think that half the battle is to service it without changing the original character and I'm torn between having a go myself, or sending it to someone like Witch Hat.

Hi,
yes that's the battle. I have a Nap 120 as described over that sounds rather special together with good Nac 12/v3. It's a so dynamic, detailed and powerful combination. Also it sounds better without a serviced Snaps in between. I have a serviced Nap 160 and this sounds better with the Snaps, but not as good as the 12/120. I wonder if it's enough to change the main caps to keep it going again or if it need a bias reset.

I bought my son a pair of Kans my 1, Naim 120 and 32.5 pre some 15 years ago. Sounded magical then and still does with an LP 12, non Cirkus, Ittok, Dynavector 20 LV.

Regards,

Martin

Yes, my NAC12/NAP120 will be part of my office system upstairs with a much loved pair of MK1 Kans!

I'll get some pictures up of the amps up at some point.

Svein, I'd do as little as possible if I were you; I made the mistake with the NAC22 of replacing too much.

Any thoughts about the fuse protection for the speakers? Does this circuit degrade the sound much and what is the downside when remove/bypass them? On the Nap 120 I use now they are removed, but I am not sure what to do when I send the example over for recapping.

Nap 120 owners manual;
IMG_303333_zpssvglstok.jpg

My NAP 120 doesn't have the chassis mounted fuses, but in any case, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to bi-pass the fuses to check if they were having any effect on the sound quality.

My NAP 120 doesn't have the chassis mounted fuses, but in any case, it wouldn't take a lot of effort to bi-pass the fuses to check if they were having any effect on the sound quality.

Thanks wylton, thats's what I thought also. The Nap 120 over is sent to a professional. And he will do the by-pass also.

Martin,
I borrowed a 32-5 to try with Nap 120 and the quality of the power amp was evident. I got good results with the recapped cards used in my Nac12 and the RSL-cards. I think the 32-5 sounded better with a serviced single railed Snaps than direct from the 120.

The Nap 120 is back from service. I sent the unit to Witch Hat Audio and asked them to use Kemet capacitors (of experience from the kitchen table I find them subjectively faster that Kendeils) and bypass the fuses. Thumbs up to Witch Hat for great service and work. The Nap 120 is now bench tested all capacitors are replaced with Kemets and the fuses bypassed + some more according to the service record. The Nap 120 sounds even better than example it replaced, great from the first hour. A good sign as I don't think burn in change things that much. I'll post a pic of the unit later.

The Nap 120 after the service.

120-2_zpsd5td6csa.jpg

The example under was the first arriving here. It did make sound, but was phasey and tired. I changed the main capacitors to BHC 1000uf 40v and Kemet 3300uf 40v. This was easy for me as the capcitors were already in T-configuration after a service in the 1980s. The speaker output terminals were replaced with new from Deltron.
I haven't changed the tantal caps - yet. The two 120s sound a bit different so I'll wait and see.
Btw, a pair of Rega Xel are back here again (bought by me in 1995) and sounds great on the end of the 12/Snaps/120.

120-1_zpsm0cwzfza.jpg

All the tantalum caps in the 120 are replaced with new from Kemet T356 series. A good improvement. This example sounds very dynamic and expressive and make the SBLs almost explosive on some recordings - with good help from the Nac 12 and some DPA dacs. I think this example has the edge over the serviced one sound-wise. Not night and day difference, but even more enganging and enjoyable.
I have used the BHC 10000uf/40v bought from ebay, Kemet 3300uf/40v from In-Tune and Kemet T356s from Elfa.

122_zpsrjnugpne.jpg

121_zpsbptbiaus.jpg

Very nice Svein. I bought a pair of these 3/1 boards from misterc6 a few years ago and with a pair of Avondale Cap6 boards and a pair of 300va toroids I built a pair of monos. They have a raw, gutsy sound that can be quite exhilarating with certain music.

All the tantalum caps in the 120 are replaced with new from Kemet T356 series. A good improvement. This example sounds very dynamic and expressive and make the SBLs almost explosive on some recordings - with good help from the Nac 12 and some DPA dacs.

SNIP

Out of curiosity, which DPA DACs are you using?

Very nice Svein. I bought a pair of these 3/1 boards from misterc6 a few years ago and with a pair of Avondale Cap6 boards and a pair of 300va toroids I built a pair of monos. They have a raw, gutsy sound that can be quite exhilarating with certain music.

Yes, they're surprisingly powerful and do scale. I think it sounds great on all kinds of music.

Out of curiosity, which DPA DACs are you using?

The first versions of 'the little bit' and Deltec 'the bigger bit'. The little bits are good, smooth and rythmic I use them for my Sonos and internet-radio. For cd's The Bigger Bit sounds spectacular - dramatic, taut, rythmic and tuneful.

The first versions of 'the little bit' and Deltec 'the bigger bit'. The little bits are good, smooth and rythmic I use them for my Sonos and internet-radio. For cd's The Bigger Bit sounds spectacular - dramatic, taut, rythmic and tuneful.

Thanks, Svein. :)
So, you feel that the Deltecs offer a good expressive/engaging/involving musical performance, even when fronting what (I imagine, having never heard any :( ) might be the 'purest'/most 'hardcore' of Naim amplification?

FWIW, and IIRC, I seem to recall that reviewer Chris Frankland was quite enthusiastic (in as much as he had any enthusiasm for CD ;) ) about a Deltec DAC, possibly the PDM 1 Series 2?.

BTW, what CD 'transport' are you using?
Also, do you have any experience with the Naim CDS, perhaps in comparison with the Deltecs?

(Apologies for going OT. :rolleyes: )

Thanks, Svein. :)
So, you feel that the Deltecs offer a good expressive/engaging/involving musical performance, even when fronting what (I imagine, having never heard any :( ) might be the 'purest'/most 'hardcore' of Naim amplification?

FWIW, and IIRC, I seem to recall that reviewer Chris Frankland was quite enthusiastic (in as much as he had any enthusiasm for CD ;) ) about a Deltec DAC, possibly the PDM 1 Series 2?.

BTW, what CD 'transport' are you using?
Also, do you have any experience with the Naim CDS, perhaps in comparison with the Deltecs?

(Apologies for going OT. :rolleyes: )

Hi, in no particular order,-
In Hi-Fi Review September 1990 (I have this issue) Noel Keywood did a comparison review of Wadia Digimaster, Meridian 203 and Deltec PDM1 series II with some measurements. His conclusion was that the Deltec 'sonically tramples all over the other convertors'. Frankland agreed in his second opinion. Although I have read most of the issues of TFL (on cd-rom) and Hi-Fi review I don't think I'll use them as a buying guide. It's good fun because they were direct in their criticism and for me it's interesting to read about british gear. The mags here mostly covered hifi from Scandinavia and the US.
I don't know what hardcore Naim amplification is. The Bigger Bit really rocks when called for, but is also good with classical. The 12/120 is the most musical and enjoyable Naim combination I have had. Way better than the small Naits or 72/Hi/250 imo.
I haven't experience with the early CDS players, but had the olive CDX/XPS combination some years ago.

The Nap 120 I sent to Witch Hat developed a fault and wouldn't lift the mute on the pre-amp and become very hot when used with a Snaps. The staff at Witch Hat Servicing wanted me to send it back. Excellent service in every way from them. Also with my limited skills I am happy I sent it to professionals in the first place. The amplifier is now returned to me after a complete warranty repair in stunning shape. It sounds amazing directly with Nac 12, surprisingly dynamic, gutsy and very enganging and pleasant. I'll post some pics of later.

Some info on the 120. My examples has the on-off switch and led at the rear btw.

36087764605_bc3aa457d3_b.jpg

Pics of the serviced Nap 120. Thanks again to Witch Hat Servicing. It sounds really good. What amazes me is the all-round capabilities of a good Nac 12 / v3 and ditto Nap 120 or 160. Calm music like Agnes Obel or Gregory Porter - no problem. It is reproduced with intimacy and presence. Classical is also always interesting, whether it's a string quartet or one of Mozart's major symphonies. But what I think is most fun is how it play rock music. Energetic rock like The Datsuns and Gluecifer sounds powerful and lightning fast with such an ease - very enganging.

36137418026_ec296cc92d_b.jpg

36178420205_53649b1467_b.jpg

advertisement

Back