advertisement

Naim Nait5i/CD5X vs Rega Apollo R/Brio R

tiggers

pfm Member
As per title what are people's thoughts on how these two combinations would stack up. Both playing through Rega RX1s.

Basically I have need to finalise my office system and already have a CD5X/Nait 5i (Italic).

However the CD5X either needs redeploying (partner's system) or a second one finding which is proving difficult. The other option is redeploy the CD5X, sell the Nait and buy a Rega Apollo R/Brio R secondhand.

As you may already have guessed we want the two units to match and I like the idea of the smaller footprint of the Regas, but how do people think the two systems will stack up against each other sound wise. We are very happy with the CD5X/Nait 5i as a second system, but as we have an Isis CD in the main system we know we like Rega's CD players too.

Or are any of the other Naim 5 series players worth considering instead of the 5X? Bear in mind budget is around £1200 for the amp/CD player or around half that for a CD player alone. Assumes we get £500-£600 for the 5i if we sell it, but not sure where prices sit really.

Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't say stop using CD and stream as we don't want to, totally understand those that do though... thanks :D

Rega Brio (latest) and the Rega Apollo-R are excellent, and maybe a bit different to the Naim (only can compare to 62/140) but Rega is musical and enjoyable, and you know you never have the nagging thoughts that you need or want to upgrade. The so called shoe-box size is either a bonus or the deciding factor.

You cannot go wrong!

I would be pleased to hear what you think of the Isis...

(agree, never look at streaming - I do not understand those that do, but then I have particular musical appreciation that is not served by streaming platforms, and anyway, I do not like the subscription model for music enjoyment)

When shopping for a kit in 2010, I listen to these two exact same combos described in your title.
Waited a few months, looked at my bank accounts and ended up buying a Supernait and a CD5XS.
Never regretted.

My preference would be the Rega duo and if you go for the previous R iterations, then you’ll have change from your budget.

I’ve had a used Apollo-R in my set up for about 4 years and it’s a lovely thing, the legacy support from Rega is also superb, not that I’ve needed it.

advertisement

Back