advertisement

Naim Nait 5i repair

Class A said they need parts from Naim so best it goes there.
Which hat I don't think look at black only olive and CB?

I have no idea if they replace the entire board that at least might justify the price, but if only £1 part then seems madness

Class A said they need parts from Naim so best it goes there.
Which hat I don't think look at black only olive and CB?

I have no idea if they replace the entire board that at least might justify the price, but if only £1 part then seems madness
If it really is just a £1 optocoupler, and it’s readily available, any competent technician should be able to fix it easily. Replacing a whole board for that would be madness. I’d have that changed in 30 minutes... it could even be socketed in case it failed again, which would make replacement as easy as changing a battery... the question is, is it really just an optocoupler?

I have ordered 1 well 5 actually as that as few as i could get just in case wait to heat what Naim say but think we all know the answer.
Not 100% but sounds the same fault and dealers seem to be aware of it.

exact same issues other members have had and that wat the complaint a £1 part costing £350.

I don't think I have the skills to remove and refit it to the board if honest

yes seems this is a more common fault the more i read up on it

Kind of rocks my faith in Naim I get the fixed price repair policy can be a good thing but £350 for £1 component is ripping off their customer base when they know its a fault.

I first came to Naim for the sound and build quality and customer service, hard to believe in all of that just now.

hence why I went back to the more simple Olive stuff and Avondale

I think it’s great that naim still service old gear, many others don’t. The fixed price isn’t cheap but there are other options available.

I think it’s great that naim still service old gear, many others don’t. The fixed price isn’t cheap but there are other options available.
It would be even greater if they said "we'll charge you £350 but to be honest you could get someone else to do it for a six pack of beer". Charging that much for a repair seems like a business strategy, not so much a benefit to the consumer.

When I an LED go out on a secondhand Rega DAC, Rega posted the LED (and a few extras) to Spain free of charge so that I could repair it myself. That's integrity!

But I guess at least they aren't scratching part numbers off and potting circuits in black epoxy like some other people we know...

I used to think that as well, have noticed a change since all repairs must go via dealers and no longer allowed contact the factory direct.

I have huge respect for the way they fully recondition CB and Olive kit the level of support is great.

But simple low cost issues like the octocoupler should have been addressed these amps are not worn out or sounding off its component failure, that it would appear their dealer netwrks knew all about.

If this were a Rega amp for example I think it would have been looked on differently.

I am not bashing Naim I have owned enough over the years and still like the brand, but as others have shown Yamaha for example are looking after their customers with known faults.

It would be even greater if they said "we'll charge you £350 but to be honest you could get someone else to do it for a six pack of beer". Charging that much for a repair seems like a business strategy, not so much a benefit to the consumer.

When I an LED go out on a secondhand Rega DAC, Rega posted the LED (and a few extras) to Spain free of charge so that I could repair it myself. That's integrity!

But I guess at least they aren't scratching part numbers off and potting circuits in black epoxy like some other people we know...
Of course it is a business strategy. There is no reason why it cannot be repaired independently though. I applaud what Rega do but I don’t think naim are completely at fault here.

yes seems this is a more common fault the more i read up on it

Kind of rocks my faith in Naim I get the fixed price repair policy can be a good thing but £350 for £1 component is ripping off their customer base when they know its a fault.

I first came to Naim for the sound and build quality and customer service, hard to believe in all of that just now.

hence why I went back to the more simple Olive stuff and Avondale
If you can get here, or at least get the amp here, I’ll fix it for free. And socketing the optocoupler means if it fails again, it’ll take a few minutes and just the tools needed to remove the top to fix it.

Just want to thank you for the post because my 2007 nait 5i developed this fault and I went ahead and replaced the optocoupler also using a socket.
The amp works fantastic again, maybe even better than before the fault.
I spent £22 in total, including an heated desoldering pump and one speaker terminal.
I wasn't fully confident in successfully replacing the part but the logic was simple, for that amount to send it back to Naim I could maybe buy something else.
Desoldering is a tricky job but the board has room around components to keep the job as tidy as possible, and only the speaker terminals need removing to have good access underneath.
These consumer electronics should be more plug and play component wise for different reasons including environmental.
A good Christmas to all.

advertisement

Back