advertisement

Naim nait 5

worz

pfm Member
Hi all thinking of downsizing my gear ,presently 72 hicap 250 can a nait 5 fill the boots of my present gear to some degree
Regards Martin

I doubt it. Go for for something completely different, lots of great integrated amps these days.

Supernait would be obvious choice, may be able to get a 2nd hand one?

I like the sound of the Nait, it will be different but you may like it. Could you try it?

I have a Nait5i it punches well but I think not in the same league as your set up hard to say tho I only have a 180 with a 72. 5i certainly has similar kind of sound if that makes any sense?

but completely left field I have a Rotel RA05 SE it sounds very nice with my previous tannoy DC6T and my current quaint Naim Nac 402 have been hugely impressed with this humble little 40w amp

I see were your coming from mate, I have run a nait 1 for a while and although not in same league as you say at the same time very acceptable

My suggestion would be an Exposure integrated. There's a couple on the bay at the moment (no connection to either seller). A bargain of an XM5 and, better still and the one I use, a 2010S2D. Both better than a Nait by some margin IMO.

Personally, if I was to go down the path from a 250, I would go with a NAC 42 or 32 with a NAP110.
You will still get most of the benefits of the 250 (maybe even more !) and fit the budget and shelf space.

Hi all thinking of downsizing my gear ,presently 72 hicap 250 can a nait 5 fill the boots of my present gear to some degree
Regards Martin

No.

The 72/Hicap/250 is in an entirely different league compared to the Nait 5.

Why the interest in downsizing?

Regards Martin

11 years ago I downsized from a 52/Scap/135s to a Nait 2, and honestly loved it. In a small room, with the right speakers, and depending on your definition of "to some degree", the answer is "possibly".

Personally, if I was to go down the path from a 250, I would go with a NAC 42 or 32 with a NAP110.
You will still get most of the benefits of the 250 (maybe even more !) and fit the budget and shelf space.
I can see where you are coming from. Some years back I was using a 42.5 / 110 combo and had a demo of the 250 using my ProAc Tablettes and honestly could not justify the extra cost for such a small (maybe perceived) improvement.

I always liked the original 5, it does things most people like. Your current kit will probably out perform the 5, but in real world conditions it will likely depend on what you want? Remote control and perhaps more inputs are important? I use a 5i and am quite satisfied with it.

I run a 62/HC/140 (I used to run a NAP250). Speakers are ES11s on dedicated stands.

Recently I changed sources to a CD5 and NAT5, so I picked up a NAIT5 to complete the set.

I've found the NAIT5 to be a very enjoyable amp. It doesn't have the same power as my CB boxes and I find myself turning up the volume to around 10 o'clock to get a room filling sound. It's fast as anything I've heard from Naim and very punchy without the shrill edge of the NAIT3 (had several of those, tried to love it but never could).

In its raw state, bass isn't overwhelming but it is present and articulate - not as much slam as a 250 but bass is well balanced and pleasingly full. The sound sits between the speakers in a very solid way. There's even a bit of depth to the sound stage. Adding a Hicap (or in my case an Avondale PSU) pushes the sound wider, creates a richer midrange and brings more bass to the party with pace and timing intact.

I expected to have the NAIT5 in situ for a couple of weeks. Two months later it's still in place. Overall I'd say the NAIT5 retains more of the 'house sound' of the CB/Olive era - certainly more than later Series 5 boxes.

So a recommendation from me for the NAIT5. If you want more power for your SBLs, a NAIT XS with 60w per channel and the same upgradeability might be worth consideration.

advertisement

Back