advertisement

Naim NACA5 vs Chord Epic Twin Shootout

ryder

pfm Member
Gents,

I did the comparison about 2 or 3 years ago on a 282/250DR/HicapDR in a large listening room. At that time, I found minor differences between the two cables. The Chord Epic pulled away as it provided a more refined sound from top to bottom compared to the slightly crude presentation of the NACA5. Hence the Chord Epic has stayed with the main system since then as the NACA5 is used in the 2nd system.

The main system is now in a smaller room for the past 1 year and optimised, sounding great. Lately out of boredom I replaced the Chord Epic Twin with the NACA5 just to see if the results were any different compared to last time I made the switch.

3.5m pair NACA5
4.0m pair Chord Epic Twin

Surprisingly the difference in sound is a revelation. Much bigger difference this time. After 30 to 45 minutes listening to familiar music with the NACA5, I immediately switched to the Chord Epic as I realised there is no way I could continue with the NACA5.

Differences:-

1. NACA5 sounds 2-dimensional while the Chord Epic more 3-dimensional
2. NACA5 sounds more immediate as decay of notes is cut short while you hear the decays fading away (beautifully) in the background with the Chord Epic
3. Front row presentation with the NACA5, 4 or 5 rows further back with the Chord Epic;

And the biggest difference. After I listened to these two tracks (Dinka - Hotel Summerville and Radar Detector - When We Were Still Together), I immediately switched off the NAP 250DR before installing the Chord Epic back to the system.

4. Bass. The quality of bass between the NACA5 and Chord Epic is quite massive. The NACA5's bass is hollow, lacks punch and does not go as deep as the Chord Epic. Once I switched to the Chord Epic, the full hard hitting bass came back it's so satisfying. The difference is not subtle.

and lastly, not related to sound quality but still worth mentioning;

5. The NACA5's stiffness is incredibly difficult to work with if you have tight spaces

In summary, if you want more from your Naim system, I would suggest trying other speaker cable alternatives especially if 3-d soundstanging and deeper and punchier bass with improved layering and texture are your priorities.

just a question (not intended to gather the rep back to the NAC A5, just curious), that is, had the NAC A5 been used for at least some days before doing the test, too?

just a question (not intended to gather the rep back to the NAC A5, just curious), that is, had the NAC A5 been used for at least some days before doing the test, too?

The NACA5 was not in use for 3 to 4 weeks prior to the testing. It's in the 2nd system which gets occasional use, much less than the main system.

The NACA5 was not in use for 3 to 4 weeks prior to the testing. It's in the 2nd system which gets occasional use, much less than the main system.

thanks. the reason why I asked is that IME all cables (and practically all hi-fi stuff) sound quite differently when not used for a while. BUT I wouldn't like to induce an avalanche, it's purely just my experience

Thanks for that, I understand and will take note. It's just a casual testing and I don't have the energy or interest to carry out extensive tests anymore these days. Having said that, if the NACA5 gets more use next time, I may repeat the quick swap again although it is still a hassle.

From memory (a long time ago) i did a very similar test with NACA5 v Epic and found similar results so can echo ryder's findings. for my tests the A5 was the 'fixed' cable and the Epic was the transient one.

(As some on here know ;)) I've done quite a few speaker cable tests, builds and long term trials from very cheap to uber expensive speaker cables and i do agree it takes a little bit of time to really understand what the effect is to the kit either end of them. BUT the changes are 'micro-nuances' in comparison to different sets.

I personally find cables without any form of silver content more natural. OCC copper has proven to be the best IMHO.

Considering how the nac a5 measures, pretty much as good as it gets for cable, you may be hearing what you dislike about the system rather than the cable, the Chord (I use the cheaper stuff here) can manipulate the sound a little, making it seem a little smoother, shinier (if this is even possible) & adds a bit to the midbass, probably why when used in direct comparison the chord may seem more appealing but doubt it has the ability to allow your system to perform as intended.

Taken from Tom Tom audio site.
ff0krp.jpg

Wasn't a huge fan of the Epic, had a 'wow' factor at first but then began feeling very artificial. I used the Epic Super Twin, so essentially double the standard epic conductors. Like CK, I avoid any silver based cable now, it just sounds too unreal for me. However its still a good cable without a doubt and picked up pretty cheapily on ebay these days.

Had far more extensive tests with Epic's cheaper sibling, Odyssey, when I had 552/135 (and later 509 valved mono's) with my enormous ProAc R4s. There was a difference between the two, the Odyssey being thinner in sound but smoother. I alternated over a few years, but must have had the Odyssey in situ when I installed my Quad 2905 ESLs and thought I'd made a purchase boo boo; 'orrible ! Changed back to NAC A5 and everything was lovely. I still use this combo, though I no longer have any Naim.

I did consider the Epic as it was thicker than the Odyssey (more like the NAC A5), but none of the right lengths (11m) came up used. Van Damme has some low cap. thick stuff which is affordable and mooted as a NAC A5 substitute or better.

each speaker cable will sound different in different systems , one may suit one and not the other . I use van damme 2.5 , chord epic twin and chord oddy in 3 systems

The NACA5's stiffness is incredibly difficult to work with if you have tight spaces...

I have an active Kans system and swapped over from Naim NACA5 to Atlas Hyper-Bi-Wire, sometime ago. It's neater, easier to use and dare I say it, sounds better too.

advertisement

Back