advertisement

Naim NACA5 US price?!

dan m

pfm Member
I will be putting up for sale some unused NACA5 and wanted to research the US price for NACA5. Here's what I found at one US site:

https://www.avoptions.com/service/pricing

example calculation
11 foot pair of NACA5 with Dual banana plugs to straight mounted pairs of banana pins:
—Wire @ $50 x 11 ft = $550
—Two Dual plugs fitted @ $95 each = $190
—Two Pairs of Banana pins @ $75 per pair = $150
Total for this set of AV Options terminated NACA5 wires: $890

Really? Is $25/ft (or $75/m) the current US MRP? I thought it was about $50/m.

That's the first time I've come across NAC A5 sold by the foot. Also, 1 metre = 3 feet 3inches. Doesn't add up.

Well the $75/m was my dodgy math. Still, that makes it worse per meter. I think the last time I saw it listed on the stereophile list it was $50/m. What's it in the UK? 30/m?

Yes I think that likely is the current US list price as I believe the list price is also $25/ft CDN (US should be 30 or so % less then Canada but Naim US pricing seems funny, either that or AV Options has funny pricing).

And yes, while its sold by the meter in most other places, I believe by the foot is std in US & Canada.

As for actual selling price, I think $400 is probably about max you'd get for an 11' terminated pair (even if unused).

Thanks, Daren. I guess the price had crept up in the last few years.

One of the issues is that its a UK product being priced up in the US/Canada. If you look at US products priced up in the UK, we seem to suffer the same hefty price differences.

Although off topic slightly, it seems to me that the price of almost everything has crept up in the last few years despite having almost no inflation, its very strange? Its almost as if the Government(s) are being creative with their figures.

Price of gold is now around 3.5 times more than it was in 1989.

Price of NACA5 is now around 20 times more than it was in 1989.

Should I buy gold or NACA5 ?

Price of gold is now around 3.5 times more than it was in 1989.

Price of NACA5 is now around 20 times more than it was in 1989.

Should I buy gold or NACA5 ?

Who knows but if we have a major economic collapse those exotic solid silver cables might come into their own.

£30 a metre here, although maybe a hike in the January price list revision.

Actually, with Naim selling into the US $ (or any $, come to that) it should appear as cheaper over there. Maybe middleman differential absorption is taking place !;)

At £30 per metre, which equates to £10.90 per foot, this would be x 125% which = $13.64 (£1 = $1.25) approx.

The only difference is that you have distributors and we don't.

At £30 per metre, which equates to £10.90 per foot, this would be x 125% which = $13.64 (£1 = $1.25) approx.

The only difference is that you have distributors and we don't.
83% markup seems damn steep considering the UK price includes VAT.

I'm sure when/if the GBP rises in value, all those distributors in the UK who recently raised their prices will again lower them...

It's not the easiest stuff to handle, that's for sure. When I bought it, I liked that it was relatively cheap and designed to work with the amps, so no second guessing/tweaking. At the current retail, I'd be very hesitant, if I had to buy a new set of cables.

BTW, my new cables cost me 61 cents / foot - Belden from blue jeans cable.

advertisement

Back