advertisement

[FS] Naim NAC72

Biggsy

pfm Member
For sale is my much-loved NAC72. In full working order, fully serviced by Class A in Aug ‘22 and in unmarked condition.

Asking £525 for it, shipping extra (exact price for fully insured shipping tba)

Never been stacked so case is near perfect.

Has MM phono boards fitted (by supplying dealer), and comes with its original box and accessories, i.e. a link plug and a pair of DIY BNC plugs (still sealed in their baggies) that you were supposed to attach to your turntable signal leads (presumably by chopping off any RCA plugs first!).

Collection preferred owing to value but posting to UK mainland is an option so please PM me to discuss if posting is of interest.

UK buyers only please.

Hopefully photos are here:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/BSrgfH9

You don't need to chop anything off the RCA plugs.

BNC's ARE adapters between RCA and Phono.

I use them all the time with Nac-72 pre-amps.

Skyebridge

Thanks for the reminder John.

I got elected to my Town Council earlier this month, so it's been full-on learning the ropes.

I have a Nac-72 working in a setup with a Nap-140 etc at the moment. However, it has a few Sound Lab boards that need to be swapped-out for Naim boards before I go put up some photos (probably on Photobucket early next week).

Skyebridge

You don't need to chop anything off the RCA plugs.

BNC's ARE adapters between RCA and Phono.

I use them all the time with Nac-72 pre-amps.

Skyebridge
Sorry, my mistake. On my turntable the signal leads are terminated with push on plugs (phono plugs I guess) whereas the corresponding inputs on the ‘72 have “quarter turn to lock” style. The things in the baggies are, I think, intended to be a replacement for the phono plugs for folk that don’t want to use an adapter

Yes, that makes sense!

I'm not an electrical engineer or whatever, who might point to (e.g.) loss of 'efficiency' of signal. But as to quality, I've not found any problem using RCA type terminators from a TT signal lead via BNC plugs to a Naim pre-amp such as a Nac-32(5) or Nac-72.

The 'upper' level and newer Naim pre-amps do have dedicated (direct or Aux) RCA/phono inputs.

Skyebridge

Hello Roy,

Apologies for being so slow to reply.

Yes, I will have a Nac-72 for sale soon. I have two of these and both have been set-up and tested in the past 2/3 weeks.

However, my plans have been delayed by a few developments. In the recent local elections I got elected so now I've got loads of (unpaid) work to do! Also, I've been trying to replace a Naim Uniti-1 screen with a new Board using provider instructions which do not work, and Naim have finally confirmed are wrong!

Apart from that, in recent years I've moved over to Ryan Sound Lab boards in my smaller Naim pre-amps, then decided to go back to a Nac-282. So I now find I'm a bit short of Naim boards for all the smaller pre-amps!

I'll get there eventually.

Skyebridge

All,

Apologies if I seem to intrude on the seller's Thread.

Can I just add that in my long experience of Naim equipment, the Nac-72 pre-amp is probably the single best value-for-money item you can buy.

A lot of people think that the Nac-32.5 is equal, and to many it has more appeal because of the chrome-bumper style. Personally, I think that a Nac-32.5 and an 'early' Nac-72 with 2 x Phono inputs are about equivalent. But if you want a dedicated CD input then the 'later' Nac-72s are only equalled or bettered by the top full-width Naim pre-amps.

GLWTS.

Skyebridge

Yes, that makes sense!

I'm not an electrical engineer or whatever, who might point to (e.g.) loss of 'efficiency' of signal. But as to quality, I've not found any problem using RCA type terminators from a TT signal lead via BNC plugs to a Naim pre-amp such as a Nac-32(5) or Nac-72.

The 'upper' level and newer Naim pre-amps do have dedicated (direct or Aux) RCA/phono inputs.

Skyebridge
I used (actually still use) the phono to BNC adapters on this NAC72 without any issues that I could determine.

I am amused at the thinking of the time that lead to these DIY conversion kits being included which would probably have resulted in an inferior overall sound than if the Naim engineers had just gone for the ‘standard’ phono connectors in the first place

advertisement

Back