advertisement

Naim NAC 92 Pre amp tape monitor stuck on

Mikey66

Hi everyone...I have acquired a Naim NAC 92 preamp and power amp..I noticed that the tape input overrides all other input and the monitor is light is not on..is this a fault and is it fixable..I'm guessing its the switching chip and associated circuitry....has any one got a circuit for this preamp as well

A quick sanity check. Are you sure you're not feeding the tape signal into the tape output? The tape output connects directly to the rest of the circuit via a resistor (as there's no tape buffer on the 92) - useful diagram here:
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/quick-tape-out-wiring-question.255354/

Easily checked by plugging tape DIN plug into CD input socket.

If it's not that then I'll try and have a look later to see which relays are involved in the monitor circuit and which signals control them.

As for the circuit, the buffer is the standard 324 type www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/preamp_pics/324_buffer__board_schematic.jpg but without the second input.
Gain stage is also the standard 321 type www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/preamp_pics/Gain_board_schem.jpg but possibly without C6 unless it's under the board.

You'll hear different opinions on a recap. I don't have a particular take on it apart from the fact that in the 92 they are all running in a cool environment, well below rating so I wouldn't expect it to need a recap more than any other amp of that age.

Unfortunately, I won't have time to look at the switching before the weekend now.

Hello....can finally close this...really sorry but the 180 5 pin din to rcd phono leads not only had l and right channel input but the right channel was also connected to the output....hence the monitor problem....the leads were new....I wasn't impressed....sorry to cause anyone any hassle thanks everyone for there input...
I would like like a copy of the dil module relay circuits if anyone has them...
Thanks

advertisement

Back