advertisement

Naim Nac 82 advice

FC united

pfm Member
Hi,
Just upgraded to a Nac 82 and wondering would internal phono boards be better than the Naim Stageline powered by an Avondale spx that I am currently using.
Thanks in advance

Thats just about the same 5xx cards but in a Stageline box with more power supply.
Longer signal path
if you have the items, try it.

Hi,
Just upgraded to a Nac 82 and wondering would internal phono boards be better than the Naim Stageline powered by an Avondale spx that I am currently using.
Thanks in advance
The internal boards sounds much better than a Stageline,go for a Naim Prefix to better the internal boards.

The internal boards sounds much better than a Stageline,go for a Naim Prefix to better the internal boards.

As far as I know they are pretty much the same cards but longer signal path

Stageline might sound better overall, if OP remove the cards inside Nac 82 (which is a free upgrade)

As far as I know they are pretty much the same cards but longer signal path

Stageline might sound better overall, if OP remove the cards inside Nac 82 (which is a free upgrade)

Stageline looks like an old school single layer PCB, like the NAC32/42/62/72 (NA322 MM / NA323 MC) internal cards but on a single PCB. Where as the NAC52/82 (NA522 / NA523) internal cards look like a later design double layer PCB. The Prefix looks like the later double later designs on a single PCB. So I suggest the 82 internal cards might be better.

On the other hand, a separate PSU on the phono stage would seem like a good idea :)

I really couldn't get on with a Stageline I had, there was a distinct shortfall of PRaT. Very strange for a Naim product.

IIRC I've posted this before and a number of guys posted the same.

I really couldn't get on with a Stageline I had, there was a distinct shortfall of PRaT. Very strange for a Naim product.

IIRC I've posted this before and a number of guys posted the same.
I agree ,the internal boards are much better than a Stageline.
The Naim Prefix is a big upgrade over the internal boards.

Stageline looks like an old school single layer PCB, like the NAC32/42/62/72 (NA322 MM / NA323 MC) internal cards but on a single PCB. Where as the NAC52/82 (NA522 / NA523) internal cards look like a later design double layer PCB. The Prefix looks like the later double later designs on a single PCB. So I suggest the 82 internal cards might be better.

On the other hand, a separate PSU on the phono stage would seem like a good idea :)

Or you could actually do what I've been umming and ahhing about for some time and put a Prefix into a separate plastic box and power it with a HiCap or equivalent.

I briefly tried a Stageline N on my 282. Was distinctly underwhelming and "grey" sounding. £120 Schiit Mani was better in all areas!

Rega Elys on RP3

Hmm. The Rega carts are about the most synergistic you can have with the (dark, gray, blah-sounding) Stageline. I thought that the MM input of the Dynavector P75 mk. 1 was much clearer, bigger, and more open-sounding than the Stageline N. That said, the dual-layer phono boards mentioned above may be worth trying, too.

Nagaoka MP200

Yeah, I can see this being a bad combo: mellow cart and boring phono stage. I had the Ryan Sound Lab MM phono stage on trial here at Joe Towers and it was excellent. It may be just the thing to perk up your Nagaoka, if you're still using it.

Or you could actually do what I've been umming and ahhing about for some time and put a Prefix into a separate plastic box and power it with a HiCap or equivalent.
Ha! Me too! I have the prefix, I have a couple of ALWSRs all made up, just needs a box and a bit of time ...

advertisement

Back