advertisement

Naim NAC 72 into Avondale Zap 250 ?

steveinspain

pfm Member
Can any Naim experts please confirm if it's a straight forward job to connect a Naim 72 pre (with it's 4 pronged socket) to my Avondale zap 250, which has 2 rca sockets- I assume it's just a new cable, or are there any other things that need to be thought about ?
Many thanks !

I had this combo - with a psu of course.Still have my Zap250.

Steve, think of the Zap as a NAP250 ie no power rail for a preamp.

So you’ll need a TPX or hicap.

Thanks for helping us here folks

I have an avondale PS with my cb250 already but am concerned about this cable from the 72 to the ZAP 250

Naim cables are a total mystery to me - i just plug them in following a diagram and hope.

What cable would be needed from my 72 please and from what socket and to what socket / connection exactly on the ZAP??

Sorry for being a bit dim about this

Thanks again in advance

Mike

ps i dont know what a 'power rail' is

M

To power a preamp with neither a NAP250 or a ‘Zap’ does. Assume Naim did this as powering the preamp off the power amp was always going to be a sonic compromise. Hence 72/140 owners who added a hicap noticed an obvious difference.

I had a cable made up to connect my 72 and 82 to my Zap250.

Hi Mike,

IIRC, the Avondale TPX-2 has a single 5-pin 240º DIN socket round back to power the NAC, but not a 4-pin DIN to connect between PSU and NAP (à la HI-CAP).

What I suspect you will need is a 4-pin DIN to 2 x RCA lead to go between NAC72 and ZAP250 direct. The 4-pin DIN connections are as depicted (socket on view)...

poweramp.jpg

As mentioned by YNWOAN above, flashback sell these with either the old style latching DIN or the later ring locking DIN (NAC72 spans both types) from Preh, with what appear to be good quality Neutrik RCA plogs on the other end.

Last edited:
Apparently, Mike has an Avondale PSU and is considering the purchase of steveinspain's ZAP250.

If what Mike has is a TPX-2 then it is dual rail with a single 5-pin 240º DIN on; in which case it has to be TPX-2 --SNAIC5--> NAC72 --DIN4/RCA--> ZAP250.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back