advertisement

Naim Nac 52 V Nac 82

Chris1234

pfm Member
I currently run a Naim Nac 82 powered by a Hicap and wondered if the 52/Supercap combo would offer me a significant improvement. Your views would be most welcome.

Thanks. As a matter of interest what are your source components and speakers as these might also influence the sound?

Depends on the rest of the system and what your priorities are.

Personally I prefer the 82 to the 52.

Have a listen to a DR HiCap.

I friend of mine who I met recently and used to be a dealer said that the 52 had a softer sound than the 82 and might not suit everyone. I tend to listen to jazz, classical and softer pop so based on this would you still recommend the 52 as a better option?

The 52 and 82 have exactly the same circuitry. However, the 52 has a power rail for every section and is dual mono in construction. The 82 is hobbled to run off a single or dual Hicap.
Most of the 52's refinement comes from those dedicated power rails. What if we can unlock the 82 with more rails and get it into 52 territory?

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/witch-hat-naim-nac82-superlink-upgrade.207612/
Thanks. I have looked at this mod before and will put some more thought to it. I hadn’t realised that it works with a Hicap so can you please confirm. And I seem to remember it cost around £500?

I friend of mine who I met recently and used to be a dealer said that the 52 had a softer sound than the 82 and might not suit everyone. I tend to listen to jazz, classical and softer pop so based on this would you still recommend the 52 as a better option?
You should really try to listen to a 52. Not easy I know but it’s the only way you will really know. Softer doesn’t really mean anything.

Ran an 82 with 2 HiCaps in place of my 42.5 with one, it gave up more information but I found it a bit "shouty", more hi-fi but less music. Traded to a 52 Supercap and was happy again. LP12/Ekos/Akiva front end. 135s/briks downstream.

52 Softer ? Blimey. Not heard that before. 52 is the best pre amp I've ever had. And my Exposure 21 takes some beating .
Currently in use right now. Banging out Led Zep - How the West was Won. Brilliant.
( Opus 21, 52 , Densen B330 +, Neat Momentum 3is, Rel Sorm Mk3).
Still got the Exposure 21 and 17. Chord cpa 2200 and Dv L200 long gone. Another good pre amp I heard was a Chord mind you. Cpa 3300 ? Or was it 4400 ? Long time ago.
You hear a lot of opinions here. No pre amp is best. Passive is best . Pre in my dac better than a 52 , blah blah.
There is a big variation in 52 performance. Age and service condition related. Get a good late one fully serviced. Fabulous amp.
I like the 82 the few times I heard at shows way back. Id put the 82/ hi cap on a par with the Exposure 21. Imo.

There is a big variation in 52 performance. Age and service condition related. Get a good late one fully serviced. Fabulous amp.

I think there was variation between the preamps even when they were new - it's not just a matter of servicing and age, and some are just better than others (probably component variation). I believe Julian said this, and that some of the 'lower' amps out-perform others that in theory should be better, it's really down to the instance rather than the design at some level.

advertisement

Back