advertisement

Naim Nac 32 input selector switch?

Rallye_punk

pfm Member
Just bought an amp via Ebay and the selector switch is a little iffy. Tried blowing it out with contact cleaner but I thibk it needs replacing. Are these easy to get hold of or will it need to go to Naim for the work? Thanks guys.

forgot to mention while its upside down.

Ok will give that a try, I had a similar issue with some old tannoy rotary switches once and had to replace them in the end. Do you know where I can get a replacement if this doesn't solve it? Thanks.

I think the 32 has a ribbon selector. Part of the component is up front behind the knob, then it has a sliding metal ribbon that moves the actual selector mechanism near the back. AFAICT these are no longer made, and I've only ever seen bits of one come up at auction (e.g. part of a selector for a 72 here). I doubt Naim still has any but I could be wrong.

I recall folks having varying amounts of success tearing down ribbon selectors, cleaning contacts, bending springs, etc., but I would have a backup plan in case that went badly.

If my 72 selector failed I would get a new Lorlin rotary selector (5 position 3 pole?) and then run wires back to the locations on the motherboard where the selector was mounted. You'd want to take lots of photos and notes of what pin each did before doing something like that.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think the 32 has a ribbon selector. Part of the component is up front behind the knob, then it has a sliding metal ribbon that moves the actual selector mechanism near the back. AFAICT these are no longer made, and I've only ever seen bits of one come up at auction (e.g. part of a selector for a 72 here). I doubt Naim still has any but I could be wrong.

I recall folks having varying amounts of success tearing down ribbon selectors, cleaning contacts, bending springs, etc., but I would have a backup plan in case that went badly.

If my 72 selector failed I would get a new Lorlin rotary selector (5 position 3 pole?) and then run wires back to the locations on the motherboard where the selector was mounted. You'd want to take lots of photos and notes of what pin each did before doing something like that.

Ok thanks for the advice, yes I think you're right with the mechanism it seems to operate a slide switch internally. Well apparently Naim can service any old amp still so surely there must be parts available to repair the unit?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Any competent repair shop should be able to repair it by removing the existing switching arrangement and fitting a rotary switch wired to the appropriate points on the PCB as suggested by booja30 above.

With a bit of care i dont see any reason why the switch you have could not be titivated, big job though,mother board out and an hours desoldering on the switch its self then dismantle the thing.

This Caig F5 Faderlube is very expensive but very, very good IME. If there is an opening to spray it in it stands a very good chance of waking the switch up.

PS I have one of these remote switches in my ‘spare’ Onix OA21S, though thankfully it still seems to work perfectly.

Why do you say that? They stipulate they can serivce any of their old equipment still to this day?

Have you emailed them by any chance? I'm sure they'd ask you to send it in and I'm curious myself what they'd do if they couldn't get that part working properly.

Why do you say that? They stipulate they can serivce any of their old equipment still to this day?

No they don’t.

They say they can service most things subject to availability of parts.

There are several bits of older equipment they no longer service.

The dvd5 cannot be serviced

Several early CD players cannot be repaired because the laser assemblies are no longer available.

From the website:

"The department, based at Naim Audio’s factory and office complex in Salisbury, will attempt to repair every product the company has produced over the past four decades (excluding Mu-so wireless music systems). Naim Audio holds stocks of key components for as long as they are available. Some parts, such as CD drive mechanisms, cease to be manufactured and eventually become impossible to source but Naim Audio was, nonetheless and thanks to its prudent stockholding, still able to service and repair one of its first CD players even though the machine had reached its sixteenth birthday!"

They will 'attempt'. They might not succeed, and I'm guessing they wouldn't charge for a failure to repair, but you'd be out shipping. But since this is a preamp, not a CD/DVD, I'm guessing they would say they can give it a shot.

It's not a simple 5 pole switch I'm afraid. The 42 was hand wired and had a 4-pole 3-way device. The 32/72 has tape buffer boards where the 42 doesn't, and also mutes the relevant tape output when its source is selected. The monitor switch favours tape1 unless it is selected whereby tape2 is routed. I don't have any schematics I'm afraid. Your best bet is witch contact cleaner or try to see if the ribbon nubs that insert into the selector and sliders aren't bent thus allowing slight mis-alignment of the switch contacts.

advertisement

Back