advertisement

Naim nac 202 self service

nootfam

s!AnPicdNfvpa2gYd19eewmq5UxGjVEg
s!AnPicdNfvpa2gYd3YtCKdZnFBXUb9g
s!AnPicdNfvpa2gYd2Lu7Gdprw9Ii6OQ
s!AnPicdNfvpa2gYd0DjOps_2DWVeQmA

as the title suggests I’m about to embark upon a recap. However I need guidance about component selection as capacitors used in my nac circa 2004 are not available.
There are

41 10uf 35v Elna RE3 series caps - their ESR is 23.2 and Ripple is 59 (not available)
10 47uf 35v caps of unknown brand
10 10uf 35v tantalum unknown brand
1 1000uf 35v Elna Rjh series - still available

The specific items in question are available on eBay and AliExpress, but I can’t risk using them.

Can I request those in the know how to suggest modern day replacement capacitors?
Many thanks in advance

Firstly how old is it and why do you want to recap it ?, has it got problems.
If you do need to do it buy all of the caps from a reputable supplyer such as Mouser, RS Comp, Farnell, Hifi Collective etc dont buy from ebay
You have to look at the circuit diag to see what the capicitor is being used for in the circuit, is it for coupling caps, decoupling caps, audio filter caps, PSU reservoir caps? before you can decide on replacements
I realy like Nichicon FG caps for general use in audio circuits also elna Silmic 2 in the signal path
If the RE3 have such high ESR maybe they were used delibertely to prevent oscillation ?
You could use 50V in most cases as replacements just check the dia before you buy

Alan

Firstly how old is it and why do you want to recap it ?, has it got problems.
If you do need to do it buy all of the caps from a reputable supplyer such as Mouser, RS Comp, Farnell, Hifi Collective etc dont buy from ebay
You have to look at the circuit diag to see what the capicitor is being used for in the circuit, is it for coupling caps, decoupling caps, audio filter caps, PSU reservoir caps? before you can decide on replacements
I realy like Nichicon FG caps for general use in audio circuits also elna Silmic 2 in the signal path
If the RE3 have such high ESR maybe they were used delibertely to prevent oscillation ?
You could use 50V in most cases as replacements just check the dia before you buy

Alan
It was built in 2004, it has no problems as such but as its been 15 years I thought I should replace the capacitors. Elna Simlic 2 is my favorite too and is easily available from mouser and digikey. The schematic is not available so I am at a loss to know what it is being used for, that is why I was looking for like for like replacements.
Thanks

Its 15 years old and naim suggests to have it serviced after such time.
Only difference is that for diy fun I would like to service it myself.

In there better preamps naim fit promisic 47 uf 40v axials which have an esr of about 3 ohm so any decent make not low esr cap will be fine .

The tantalum beads are kemet 356 series.

The 10uf 35v can be any make as long as they will fit, are not low esr and have a decent lifespan. I would buy a cheap meter with capacitance ,check them in circuit and if something like leave them alone

In there better preamps naim fit promisic 47 uf 40v axials which have an esr of about 3 ohm so any decent make not low esr cap will be fine .

The 10uf 35v can be any make as long as they will fit, are not low esr and have a decent lifespan. I would buy a cheap meter with capacitance ,check them in circuit and if something like leave them alone
Thank you so much, that is exactly the information I was after. Appreciate your kindness.

• All the 10uF electrolytics (Samwha I believe) on the digital switching circuits - leave the well alone. They are not in the signal path and have no effect on sonics.
  • The tantalum bead caps replace with like for like - any good brand from a reliable source are fine - I always use Kemet tants from Mouser
  • The OEM 47uF/35v power rail and feedback caps are Samwha - really cheap. By all means use the Silmic 2s but also try the Nichicon KZ series - they are 50v but that's not an issue.
  • I have no idea what that 1000uF cap is for unless it its a smoothing cap of some sort. If you can get the same do so but I would have thought any good quality cap would do - there are plenty to choose from at Mouser.

Will checking capacitance in cct work? I always assume I’d pick up capacitance elsewhere in cct so always lift one leg.

I find in these circuits the tester I have will give a rough indication of the capacitance and that the capacitance of the electrolytics tends to rise with age and then drop.

• All the 10uF electrolytics (Samwha I believe) on the digital switching circuits - leave the well alone. They are not in the signal path and have no effect on sonics.
  • The tantalum bead caps replace with like for like - any good brand from a reliable source are fine - I always use Kemet tants from Mouser
  • The OEM 47uF/35v power rail and feedback caps are Samwha - really cheap. By all means use the Silmic 2s but also try the Nichicon KZ series - they are 50v but that's not an issue.
  • I have no idea what that 1000uF cap is for unless it its a smoothing cap of some sort. If you can get the same do so but I would have thought any good quality cap would do - there are plenty to choose from at Mouser.
Thank you for guidance. I have used Elna simlic 2 all around. 47uf 35v capacitors I used were Illinois capacitors as they are the only one which match samwha sg data sheet specs. I will post the pictures and my basket from Digi-Key here so as to help forum fellows.
Regards

Why didn't you get proper Samwha SGs? There are some genuine ones available on Ebay you know...

52, 82, 252 & 282 all used 47uF gold axials in feedback position (SLCE then Sic-Safco). Not a drop in replacement in the 202 though. Another vote for Nichicon KZs as power rail decouplers.

If you do take the 202 board out to do this, I'd be interested in seeing a photo of the bottom of the board.

I am sorry for taking a month to upload pictures. This website does not allow direct upload so please click to see the pictures.
Pictures with blue caps are pre recap and pictures with brown caps are post recap.
I have learnt a lot from this forum and this is my small contribution as I am a novice.
I would welcome any comments or suggestions.
Thanks

Why didn't you get proper Samwha SGs? There are some genuine ones available on Ebay you know...
they are hediously expensive, 19£ for 4 Samwah SG series on ebay and there is no date code so they may well predate the preamp. That is why I took safe bet and replaced with new ones.

they are hediously expensive, 19£ for 4 Samwah SG series on ebay and there is no date code so they may well predate the preamp. That is why I took safe bet and replaced with new ones.
Excuse me, after the NAC 202 is modified, what changes in sound coloring? Because see the 47uf/35V capacitor, you don't use the original SAMWHA. Or SIC CO31 47uf/40V for more advanced models.
I mainly want to know the changes in specific sound coloring.
Looking forward to your reply

I've never liked the Elna simlic 2 in the feedback loop; too mushy for that Naim sound. Try a wet tant, or maybe a film cap rather than a Simlic 2.

advertisement

Back