advertisement

Naim NAC 102 + NAP 140 Volume Issue

lee1000

Hi, I recently got a NAP 140 and NAC 102. Everything is linked and powers up fine, however max volume on every input I've tried is no more than a quiet casual listening volume. I've opened it up to look for anything faulty but all seems fine. The 102 didn't come with a remote and I was worried that the volume on the remote may be separate to the knob, but I haven't been able to find any solid info.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks

The mute button on my 102 doesn’t pass through any volume at all (that I can hear) let alone a quiet casual listening volume.

The mute volume does actually cut the sound out and seem to work as intended, it's just that with the input and volume knob turned to max it's not loud at all, not loud enough to even really understand any lyrics but what does come through sounds good.

@lee1000 Regarding the remote, it just operates a motorised pot, so that won't be the problem, it will work happily without the remote, in fact I hardly ever use mine. What source and input are you using?

Yep it was the source. Got a couple RCA to DIN cables on ebay that were listed as being compatible with NAIM gear....... opened up the DIN plug and the channel 1 and 2 pins were wired up to the opposite side, swapped them over and perfect. Another reason not to trust ebay I guess

Thanks for your help guys

Got a couple RCA to DIN cables on ebay that were listed as being compatible with NAIM gear....... opened up the DIN plug and the channel 1 and 2 pins were wired up to the opposite side, swapped them over and perfect. Another reason not to trust ebay I guess

looks like what you bought was a cable designed for the "tape out" signals, often used for for feeding headphone amplifiers.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143916829015

It was this. The left and right wires on the first two pins were meant to be on the opposite side to work on inputs 1-3, instead it did nothing. They worked however on inputs 4-6 because they're wired differently for recording functions, and on these inputs I could get that low listening volume. But after resoldering the pins and putting them where they're meant to be they're great on inputs 1-3. But in the end a fat waste of time and not what I paid for, but still better the cables be wrong than the amp itself.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back