advertisement

Naim & Linn not playing nicely together

TheAuthor

pfm Member
Discovered a little problem last night with my Naim Nait XS-2 amp and Linn Majik DS streamer.

Whenever I shift through the inputs on the Naim, using the number buttons on the Naim remote (something I have to do as I have my TV going through naim via a DAC, so I have to grab Naim remote to change input to my TV) this action wakes my Linn Majik and starts it streaming.

I phoned Naim and they informed me that I cannot change the IR codes on the XS-2/remote. So, I phoned Linn and they told me to turn off the 'Handset Commands Accepted' setting via Konfig software, where there is a setting for: None, All, DVD, or CD. This way the Linn remote and, hence, Naim remote won't have any effect on the Majik. However, I need the Linn remote control to skip through songs while I'm streaming so this isn't an option. I've tried setting Konfig to DVD and CD separately, but it doesn't cure the problem.

I know, I know, 'just use Kazoo on your iPhone' I hear you say. But I hate Kazoo and I prefer to use the Linn remote control for volume and skipping tracks.

Anybody have any ideas?

I remember reading a suggestion on some forum or other that you could try putting polarising filters over the sensors so one unit would respond with the control held vertically and the other horizontally. The poster hadn’t tried this method and I haven’t heard of anyone else giving it a go.

Sounds like An IR clash? It happens...
I had a similar experience with a previous Cyrus system I had...sky remote pause button would turn on the Cyrus Tuner that Was in the opposite corner of the room. I ended up sticking a small off cut of lighting film over the cyrus ir sensor which worked.

I presume both use Philips codes. I have the same problem with an Arcam AV receiver & Rega amp but not yet found a solution for all situations. The best I have come up with is to get the remote very close to the Arcam so that the Rega does not pick up the signal. Not ideal but works most of the time as the room is a small study & I can get close to the kit without much effort. I solved the same problem on another system in my considerably larger lounge by bringing an old Pioneer AV receiver out of retirement & selling my much newer Arcam one - so made some money on that.

Seems like I'm stuck with the problem. Will just have to Turn Linn off via remote each time I swap inputs on Naim.

I’ve had a couple of DS players for more than a decade and have never used a remote for either - don’t even know what one looks like and presume they are still in the boxes. A phone or tablet will allow you to skip songs to your heart’s content and do everything else you need, won’t it?

the internet of pointless things also awaits.

somewhat depressing that remotes will improve the total number of steps ones fitbit watch will record as slippers slide across the axminster to manually remove the fedora blocking the ir sensor in order to avoid a Morrissey track, playing in next doors sonos.

i can only sympathise with the OP.... my dear mother age 93 had a similar issue with her Tecnika telly and freesat box... Reading this thread i have learnt why she never won the same battle with her remotes ...coded with different nailvarnishes for her favoured buttons.

Enough whimsy. Im now getting my coat, but this situation shows the industry is operating in complete disregard to actual users

advertisement

Back