advertisement

Naim-like amp that doesn't hum

My SuperNait hums but is in the next room together with an humming Hicap DR. They sound fabulous together.

My other Naim stuff is silent or almost silent (my Nap200's).

Amps are not the only humming devices. Some of my led light bulbs are also humming.

Do they hum in two part harmony?:D

I have a very fine Avondale A260, which would appeal to a Naim enthusiast. It is a "works" item, built by Les, not a DIY build. It has got some terrific components in it: NCC200 boards, 2x Cap6 modules, and an extremely meaty 750KV toroidal transformer, which - most importantly - doesn't hum! 90 watts per side and an extremely solid and authoritative sound. It's in lovely condition. Yours for £500, if you are interested.
ML

That is a great price for that level of amp. No doubt about it.

@OP, I replaced a similar amp (2 x 350VA transfos) with the Bantam Gold, which I subsequently replaced with the amptastic, I have now reverted to the Bantam Gold, because it is more grown up.

I replaced a similar amp (2 x 350VA transfos) with the Bantam Gold, which I subsequently replaced with the amptastic, I have now reverted to the Bantam Gold, because it is more grown up.

What speakers are you driving with the Bantum T-Amp? Curious as I do rather like them, I have an Amptastic Mini 1 with a bench PSU driving my Klipsch La Scalas. It is rather good, but I don’t need power in this context as the Klipsch are insanely efficient. I view the Amptastic as a very low power amp, in reality about 6-8 Watts as its claimed 20 Watts is at distortion levels entirely unacceptable in any real hi-fi context. I stick with Harold Leak’s 0.1% as the maximum there and the Tripath TA2024 chip is nothing like that good at its rated output as far as I can tell.

What speakers are you driving with the Bantum T-Amp? Curious as I do rather like them, I have an Amptastic Mini 1 with a bench PSU driving my Klipsch La Scalas. It is rather good, but I don’t need power in this context as the Klipsch are insanely efficient. I view the Amptastic as a very low power amp, in reality about 6-8 Watts as its claimed 20 Watts is at distortion levels entirely unacceptable in any real hi-fi context. I stick with Harold Leak’s 0.1% as the maximum there and the Tripath TA2024 chip is nothing like that good at its rated output as far as I can tell.

The Bantam chip is not the same as the tripath amptastic. I am using audium comp 5's, these are a pseudo full range speaker, in that the have a down firing bass unit in the base of the speaker, and they use, I think it's an 88 mm mid/treble driver for the rest. If you have hearing like a bat, you may find them lacking in sparkle. They are made in Germany.

I just love what klipsch speakers do like no other, la scalas are way too big for domestic bliss my way, but way way back, I had some klipsch forté II's and it's the speaker I most regret selling.

I posted in the Power Amp Hum thread, but that seems to have got drowned in an anti-Naim thread crap.

Much as I love my Naim amps, they all hum at idle and it's bugging me to the point of considering a change.
Can anyone suggest some amps that are silent at idle and would appeal to a Naimaholic?
Teddy Pardo ST60 has been suggested - I'm not sure what sort of trafo is used, but have any owners got a mechanical hum from them?
Nord Acoustics look interesting too and I assume from the circuits used, they're noise free.

Any others?

OK is it a Hum from the chassis?
What is your mains voltage?
How old is the amp?

The reason I ask is I did a lot of testing for Naim on there transformer design I even made two bits of test kit one now in Prague and the other in Salisbury.

28827137_1995292907455447_5808509028554232964_o.jpg

I find that Osram led bulbs are quieter than most :) Philips are quite good on that score too.

Yes. I have about 20 of the Philips Hue bulbs. I had to bring back once a Philips Hue Light Strip since the power adaptor was making too much noise. I was lucky, even in the noisy shop it was clearly audible.

Recently bought some simple Ikea led bulbs and one of them was too noisy. Still need to go back to the shop.

My LK100 hummed as much as most noisy Naims I have come across.
I’ve got one that used to occasionally hum (but not too loudly) until I made a couple of cork rings to dampen it down, worked a treat and is now totally silent. Ive had countless other linn amps and they’ve all been very, very quiet. Many of them uses switch mode PSUs and have done since the early/mid 2000s.

They’re a little different Naim but do offer a similar level of performance and are worth exploring. Densen is a good suggestions and are also worth a look, I do really like Densen.

If you truly want to get rid of the hum buy a Devialet D220 pro. There’s no transformer so problem sorted!
I'd agree with your first statement, my D440 Pro (2xD220) is completely silent, no mechanical or electrical hum at all.

However the switch mode power supply has a planar transformer.

Quote from: https://www.devialet.com/en-us/expert-pro-power-supply

"Power supply relies on a central transformer based on planar technology. It serves two purposes: spreading energy in packets and ensuring the electrical safety of the product by isolating the hazardous areas. Compact and perfectly symmetrical, the central transformer is far superior to traditional solutions in terms of efficiency and primary/secondary pollution."

I posted in the Power Amp Hum thread, but that seems to have got drowned in an anti-Naim thread crap.

Much as I love my Naim amps, they all hum at idle and it's bugging me to the point of considering a change.
Can anyone suggest some amps that are silent at idle and would appeal to a Naimaholic?
Teddy Pardo ST60 has been suggested - I'm not sure what sort of trafo is used, but have any owners got a mechanical hum from them?
Nord Acoustics look interesting too and I assume from the circuits used, they're noise free.

Any others?
I recently owned a Naim nait 5i (non italic model) completely silent.
My Nait 3 is the same.

Maybe I have magical mains :D

UK price is £1999 for the stereo version and £2999 a pair for the monos.

There are no prices shown because we export these to different countries around the world.

I was expecting something far less reasonable along the lines of "if you need to ask..."
Do they come n balanced versions? My favorite pre seems to work better balanced.

Dare I suggest an old Naim amp with a Holden and Fisher transformer. Almost guaranteed not to hum compared to the newer offerings.

Richard Dane at Naim once said that when Holden and Fisher went out of business the same factory kept making the same transformers to the same design but they just weren't branded H&F. He described it as an urban myth that there was any difference and doubted that anyone would have noticed if the company name hadn't changed. It was some time ago though so I'm paraphrasing.

My amps are quite old now, which I suspect causes some of the problems I experience, but there is an audible whoosh (may should be called hum) sound if you go up close to the speakers when they are not in use. I have also heard the local Radio station coming through them very occasionally.

To be entirely fair though, it just doesn't bother me one iota.

advertisement

Back