advertisement

Naim-like amp that doesn't hum

jwb5463

pfm Member
I posted in the Power Amp Hum thread, but that seems to have got drowned in an anti-Naim thread crap.

Much as I love my Naim amps, they all hum at idle and it's bugging me to the point of considering a change.
Can anyone suggest some amps that are silent at idle and would appeal to a Naimaholic?
Teddy Pardo ST60 has been suggested - I'm not sure what sort of trafo is used, but have any owners got a mechanical hum from them?
Nord Acoustics look interesting too and I assume from the circuits used, they're noise free.

Any others?

Temple Audio Bantam Gold, or if you need more power the Monoblocs. If you want that good ol' olive series sound, then an amptastic mini-1 will do the job admirably.

Caveats, are efficient speakers and sensible, not stadium, listening levels. Don't let the low price put you off.

Can you possible get a dedicated and better mains ?
This often a cure
Described elsewhere whats required

Otherwise one of the Rega or Exposure offerings

Simply replace the transformers with switch mode power supplys.

It will remove the hum and you might prefer the sound.

Transformers are retro fittable and it probably represents the cheapest solution.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I may try the amptastic just to see - it's cheap enough to take a punt.
Haven't listened to densen for years. I did like their early integrated with the gold knobs, but don't they use a big toroidal too? Don't want to find that hums!
I'm not keen on messing with the mains. I'd have to go right across the house. Too much upheaval with no guarantee of improvement

Quietest power amp I have is a Chord 1200c. Not a peep out the thing. Switch mode power supply.
The noisiest amps I ever owned were Nap 135's. Buzzed like a pair of angry bee hives. Sold them on. A pity as they were great sounding amps. Over the following years I owned another 2 pairs which were relatively quiet. My final 135 set was replaced by a Densen B330+. Superb amp. Very big transformer though and there is some transformer hum if you get up close.

Hi,

I have a Snaps / 12s / 250 set up and there is zero hum from either the Snaps or 250.

You do not say which Naim products you have, that would also help in your solution.

Cheers

John

I have a very fine Avondale A260, which would appeal to a Naim enthusiast. It is a "works" item, built by Les, not a DIY build. It has got some terrific components in it: NCC200 boards, 2x Cap6 modules, and an extremely meaty 750KV toroidal transformer, which - most importantly - doesn't hum! 90 watts per side and an extremely solid and authoritative sound. It's in lovely condition. Yours for £500, if you are interested.
ML

what does a naimoholic like about the sound? I have lots of amp experience but not Naim, so what is it you want to match?

I switched from a NAP 250 to a similar Avondale amp to the A260 but with NAP250 boards as I preferred them to NCC’s in my system. Absolutely no hum and better in every respect.

Dare I suggest an old Naim amp with a Holden and Fisher transformer. Almost guaranteed not to hum compared to the newer offerings.
Could be on to something there. I don't remember my old CB 140 making any noise.
It may be that I'm just super sensitive to the hum. I've gone via 180, 250, XS and SuperUniti and I can hear all of them. Same goes for a BK Monolith sub, so it's not just Naim.

I have a very fine Avondale A260, which would appeal to a Naim enthusiast. It is a "works" item, built by Les, not a DIY build. It has got some terrific components in it: NCC200 boards, 2x Cap6 modules, and an extremely meaty 750KV toroidal transformer, which - most importantly - doesn't hum! 90 watts per side and an extremely solid and authoritative sound. It's in lovely condition. Yours for £500, if you are interested.
ML

Thats a mighty fine offer

advertisement

Back