advertisement

Naim Input Board Connectors?

Johnny Blue

I made it to 'Member'!
Please excuse this intrusion: I'm normally just a PFM Audio forum poster, and it scares the hell out of me what you boys get up on this forum! (And because I rarely look here, I've missed the boat on Neil's board group buy, not that I've got any idea what they do how or to make them, but I've read enough elsewhere to know that they'd give my ageing 32.5s a boost!)

Anyway, my rather pathetic enquiry is as follows:

Some months ago there was discussion here about the gold-plated connectors that are used on the Naim (32.5/72) input boards, which fit to the gold-plated pins on the mother board (and we're really reaching the limits of my technical jargon here!).

What I want to do, quite simply, is to make some shorting connectors, to convert each of my two 32.5's BNC inputs to line level (I know there's a Naim straight-through board, but don't want the expense of these, which were £20 a pair, the last I knew, which adds up to at least £80!).

Farnells was mentioned as a source of these connectors but the thread ended in some confusion (for me at least), and there was uncertainty about which were the correct ones to get. This was compounded by somebody pointing out that there was another variation of these connectors, to be used when making a direct cable solder connection, i.e., not onto a PCB as Naim has them (and making a direct cable solder connection is what I want to do).

Now, does anybody know for sure what are the correct connectors I need to get, or, better still, does anyone have any of them kicking around that they could sell me (I need 8 in total)?

These will do the job, actually they make better contact than the real thing, also made by tyco.

I have some 321/729s from Neil coming that I can sell to you (at no profit). If your fine with soldering the boards are easy to make, just time consuming. I used to make them for people but a set takes me 3-4 hours and its hard to get that amount of free time and then only charge £50 for it ;-)

Andrew

Did you forget a link in there?

Do the boards involve temperature-sensitive components (I can solder, but usually just RCAs, DINs, bananas, MK plugs, etc.).

I have a 25W iron, with pointy tip, and a 15W and a 33W with flat (albeit lumpy now!) tips. Any good? (By the way will you have enough spare boards for 2 32.5s?)

Thanks for the link (but the connectors look nothing like the ones in my Naims, unlike the ones in the original thread discussion).

The 25W will be fine.

Yes I'll have enough boards for 2 x 32s. I'll also have the connectors and 10uF wimas.

See, that's what happens when I come on this forum: I get so far, then I get scared! WTF are the 10uF wimas? If they're meant to be on the boards themselves, wouldn't they be part of the kit in the first place, and the same for the connectors?

Neil includes the PCBs, connectors and 10uF Wimas because they are hard to source in the UK.

10uF is the value of the capacitance and WIMA is the brand.

You will need to source the components for the PCBs. TBH its a PITA! You could always buy some from Neil ready made. If not, he might have a BOM (Bill of Materials) list he could send you with supplier and part code. I have all the compoents but I need them for my own boards, soz!

Well, thanks to Andrew and Neil, I'm on a bit of an adventure now, although it's got naff-all to do with my original request!

So, after wasting hours trying to find exactly what I wanted in the first place, I've now decided that these are what I need (just in case anybody else was waiting for the answer to my OP!)

Well, thanks to Andrew and Neil, I'm on a bit of an adventure now, although it's got naff-all to do with my original request!

So, after wasting hours trying to find exactly what I wanted in the first place, I've now decided that these are what I need (just in case anybody else was waiting for the answer to my OP!)

The adventure is just beginning! Its a long road from stock NAC72 to FlatNAC72 ;)

ah yes. i just never imagine anyone with a 32.5, and enough sense, to sell it for what £140 now?.. may as well give it a right royal bodge imo (+ Mick Parry's too of course).

re orig enquiry- why the faff? i just soldered two ~1" jump wires to the pins. 10mins/ job done.

Yes, that's the easy way, probably sounds better as well, and of course I'd thought of doing that, it's just that I want to be able to return the 32.5s to their original state, should I want to sell them in the future.

(Sorry Andrew, didn't see that you'd already responded to this effect!)

ah yes. i just never imagine anyone with a 32.5, and enough sense, to sell it for what £140 now?.. may as well give it a right royal bodge imo (+ Mick Parry's too of course).

No, you're quite right, I probably will never sell it, but I like all my bodges to be reversible! (And Mick wouldn't ever look at a thread such as this, in any case!)

How much did you say for a 32.5? I wish!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back