advertisement

Naim IBL Grills

CJBenno

pfm Member
I have just purchased a pair of Naim IBL speakers, but unfortunately they do not have grills.
Does anybody know if replacement grills are available anywhere in the UK.
Cheers Colin

I almost bought a pair from itsmarkie @ ebay but ended up a pair from elsewhere, which was an absolute one-off, so itsmarkie looks like the next best option. If you search the following item number on ebay, you'll see the last listing he did. I think he only makes them on request, so if you drop him a message, you should be able to order a pair.

Ebay Item Number: 151243416943

I have just purchased a pair of Naim IBL speakers, but unfortunately they do not have grills.
Does anybody know if replacement grills are available anywhere in the UK.
Cheers Colin

Welcome to the IBL fraternity. Let us know how you get on.

As per an earlier thread of Bob's...

"I recently bought a nice set of one piece replacement grills for my IBL's from foamspeakergrilles.com. Really a quality product with inside relief for the drivers. Nicer than the original Naim ones I would say. A bit more expensive than Bob's with a sizable delay in manufacturing due to the small nature of the business and the great demand. They do SBL and DBL grilles as well." They are in the US but ship internationally.

Simon

Bear in mind that foamspeakergrilles does not make exact replicas of the grilles. In the original, a single piece of foam was used and the indentation on the inside surface to accommodate the speaker drivers was cut into it. However, these 3rd party ones are made out of two separate pieces of foam (one with holes totally cut thru' for the drivers & the other, a flat piece) glued together to form a grille cover.

I've seen the earlier ones made for DBLs and the holes were not quite large and deep enough, hence the drivers were touching the foam. This affected the sound detrimentally. I am not sure if they have sorted this out over time (should be a simple fix by getting the measurements right).

Otherwise these grilles are reasonably priced and given that the originals are not made any more, you may not have much of a choice.

(I have no grilles on my DBLs and IBLs but that is not an ideal situation).

I got some replacement grilles from Mark and they were well made but flawed in that there was insufficient cut out of the tweeter bit to allow total freedom of the tweeter mounting plate.

I 'modified' mine with a sharp Stanley blade and all is now very well and sounding good. Of course the reverse of the grille, that you can't see at all, is a bit of a dogs breakfast.

Mark has now changed the shape of the cut outs on the back of his IBL grilles and I understand that they now do the job perfectly. He is also a very nice chap to deal with , turns then around in about a week and his prices are very reasonable.

Here's a recent response from Mark;
"Yes I have an improved design which are £35.00 per pair plus £7.50 P&P. Pay by paypal to the above e-mail. The foams are normally dispatched within 5 working days."
His email address is [email protected]

Hock,

You must be referring to another manufacturer, the IBL grilles I have on hand from foamspeakergrilles.com are one piece of foam with the indentations for the drivers carved out of the inner surface. No lamination of foam parts.

Simon

Hock,

You must be referring to another manufacturer, the IBL grilles I have on hand from foamspeakergrilles.com are one piece of foam with the indentations for the drivers carved out of the inner surface. No lamination of foam parts.

Simon

I am pretty sure it was this company but my experience about a year or so ago was with the DBLs not the IBLs. Or perhaps they have sorted it out or the IBL grilles are different (less complex). Good to know. I may yet order from them since they are reasonably priced.

Here's a recent response from Mark;
"Yes I have an improved design which are £35.00 per pair plus £7.50 P&P. Pay by paypal to the above e-mail. The foams are normally dispatched within 5 working days."
His email address is [email protected]

Contacted Mark regarding the grills and received a similar email to the one above. Have now ordered a set and will await their arrival.
Really enjoying the IBL's so far, not had much time to listen to them properly, and my daughters both think that the IBL's are 'cute' :)

Mark also confirmed that the IBL grills are a new version which has been improved with the assistance of a PFM member

advertisement

Back