Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim Hi Cap Needs Two Capacitors

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Al_G, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Al_G

Al_G Member

My Naim Hi Cap started smoking the other day. I had explained to it how unhealthy smoking is, nonethelesss...

But seriously, I'm looking to buy two replacement capacitors, but they are hard to find. The current ones are labeled Felsic co 38.

Any tips on where to get suitable new replacements would be much appreciated. A USA supplier would be a bonus. Thank you.

2. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

3. tpetsch

tpetsch pfm Member

Going to be hard to find new sets of these in the states at this time unless you want used, I just bought 2 sets myself from a European supplier after looking hard for sets stateside. Good Luck.

4. Al_G

Al_G Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  5. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

Do you actually know what the fault is? i.e. have you looked inside and done some diagnostics?

6. Al_G

Al_G Member

Yes, the 33 year old capacitors are smoking. Can you help me find good replacement parts?

7. Guinnless

Guinnless pfm Member

I see, that's not really a diagnosis though. It's very likely that other issues have caused this catastrophic issue. Just replacing the two big caps with new ones may result in the same problem.

If you don't want to send to the Naim Service agent (and that is obviously up to you) then you may need to take it to somebody familiar with electronics.

8. keithsnaim

keithsnaim Gone Fishing

Have a look at the CPC Farnell website. They have a few high value screw terminal caps in the bargain basement section.

9. snowman_al

snowman_al pfm Member

Are you absolutely sure it is the big caps smoking? I would not be surprised if the small tantalum caps were smoking, but the big caps would be very unusual, though not impossible...

Al_G likes this.
  10. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

11. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

The tantalum capacitors in Hicaps die all the time. They have an acrid smell that you can never forget. I've seen hundreds of them and have only ever seen the main capacitors die once, and that was because someone had wired them in reverse.

12. mmckernie

mmckernie pfm Member

Al_G likes this.
  13. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

There was a large scorch mark up the wall in the inspection area IIRC ...

MJS likes this.
  14. Al_G

Al_G Member

15. Al_G

Al_G Member

I will replace them as well. Thank you.

16. Jo Sharp

Jo Sharp Pulls on doors marked push

17. Al_G

Al_G Member

Thank you all! I ordered the abovementioned service kit containing:

2 x Sic Safco CO39 Smoothing Caps

4 x Tantalum 10uF 35v

$182 delivered to the US. Looks like a simple install. I will report back afterwards.

Thanks again!

18. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

That service kit should include 4 x tantalum capacitors unlike the two in their description.

19. Al_G

Al_G Member

I ordered 4, as detailed above. One of the tantalum capacitors is clearly fried. I was very tempted to simply get a $1 replacement and see how it worked.

20. mmckernie

mmckernie pfm Member

A new kit might last you for another 33 years

Mynamemynaim and Al_G like this.