advertisement

Naim Display

I think it's shocking that a) Naim continues to use what's demonstrably unreliable technology, and b) charge to repair it. I had an nVi (so that's four of us on this thread) and had to replace the display. The fact that an NDS (a not inexpensive bit of kit) has the same component/design problem 10 years later is appalling. They can't say it's new to them. They must have been replacing these displays on a fairly regular basis for some time

PS: yes, you can update the firmware on an nVi but IIRC, it involved burning a CD and then starting the nVi while standing on your head, with the CD inserted

From what I’ve been researching about 'OLED' screens, they’re not the most reliable, easily suffering from screen burn but also dimming over time. My MELCO has a more basic 'OLED' screen and I leave it switched off for the most part mainly for that reason. It's a real shame as the picture quality of OLED is far superior LCD.

That doesn’t bode well for all those expensive tellys but maybe the people who buy them expect to buy a new one every 5 years, Naim is meant to last a bit longer.
Personally I would prefer no screen on a streamer if the app does it all anyway but Naim claim the market demands screens so they put a great deal of effort into minimising their negative effect on the sound and screens is what you get. Not really in the spirit of the company that eschewed tone controls all those years ago but that progress for you.

OLED has a long term fade with use as the LED material degrades.
Sudden failure or failing in storage is something else, a cable or a power supply is likely

I think it's shocking that a) Naim continues to use what's demonstrably unreliable technology, and b) charge to repair it. I had an nVi (so that's four of us on this thread) and had to replace the display. The fact that an NDS (a not inexpensive bit of kit) has the same component/design problem 10 years later is appalling. They can't say it's new to them. They must have been replacing these displays on a fairly regular basis for some time

PS: yes, you can update the firmware on an nVi but IIRC, it involved burning a CD and then starting the nVi while standing on your head, with the CD inserted

Any pointers as to where I can get the firmware from? Naim seem to have furloughed most of the company and not got a response in over 2 months.....

Any pointers as to where I can get the firmware from? Naim seem to have furloughed most of the company and not got a response in over 2 months.....
Good question. I'll have a trawl around my PC, but it was at least 6 years ago. I seem to remember it came from a dealer, probably Cymbiosis

That doesn’t bode well for all those expensive tellys but maybe the people who buy them expect to buy a new one every 5 years, Naim is meant to last a bit longer.
I recently inherited a big plasma (Panasonic VT65, which is lovely) and ended up reading forums on OLED v Plasma life expectancy etc. As somebody who has only changed televisions when they break it was a revelation to discover how many people replace their TVs every 3 years or so, and consider that a normal life cycle.

Never owned a single bit of Naim gear, but I must admit reading these forums recently I'm taken by comments that servicing every few years is fairly routine. My experience of kit is typically up to 20 years before needing attention!

Some of it I think is just silly paranoia. I have owned Naim gear since the early 80’s, I don’t get crazy with the servicing BS. The display issues are a bit of a different thing though.

advertisement

Back