Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim Display

Discussion in 'audio' started by Central Audio, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

Hi Guys,

Has anyone experienced the main display on NDX etc failing overnight, or is it a gradual decline in illumination ?

Best Regards Anthony.

2. garyi

garyi leave blank

I had an nVi one go over a period of a week from fine to gone!

3. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

The more common way is a gradual fading over time.

4. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

Thanks guys, this one failed in the box unused over a period of time.

5. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

When you say "failed" do mean that the display is dim, blank or that there is garbage displayed on screen? The second two could be caused by a loose ribbon cable.

6. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer 432 Point5

It was apparently quite a common issue with the Superuniti/NDX/NDS

7. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

Tony

very common most get changed
    serviced

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

yes , in fact this is one thing that put me off the little naim dac

9. Timo_F

Timo_F pfm Member

Apparently, it's something in the region of £350 to get the display replaced -- quite a bit of dosh to "invest" in dated streamers and the discontinued DAC-V1... It seems display failure is only a matter of time...

hifinutt likes this.
  10. Olsen

Olsen pfm Member

My early Unitiqute had new display and other services done at Naim, by first owner.

Allways set display to shortest turn-off settings, no clock etc.

Its been fine for years now but kind of "exiting" how long it last.
    Terrific nice kit apart from that issue.

11. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

The display on my 10 year old Uniti has started fading. I only recently found out that this is a common problem.

£350 sounds bit steep, but I suppose if it is part of a full service then that is not too bad. At 10 years old it is probably due one.

Does anyone know if they update the firmware too? We use it mostly for tv sound duties or playing CDs not streaming much.

Fudgemaster likes this.
  12. Faux

Faux pfm Member

My 2012 Uniti screen has completely gone, I’m going to send it back to Naim soon. The Uniti seems to have this problem More often than not and it is a shame that they don’t offer to fix it for free but the warrantee is only 5 years and they are a business after all.

13. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

My experience was almost identical to Seagulls', and use mine for records, cd and tv, and I have adopted the same strategy to extend the life of the display.
    I don't know if there was a firmware update, sorry.
    It's irritating not having the display, but hopefully cheaper by lasting longer, until the next service. It's vexing that cheap audio gear 30 - 40 years old still has a (basic) display still working.

Linds likes this.
  14. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

Why don’t you all complain and ask what they have done to give their more recent equipment greater longevity. I think it is a cheek having something so fundamental failing within 10 years or less

15. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

What version is it running now? You can update it yourself, or if it goes for a service I'm sure they will do it for you.

16. ryder

ryder pfm Member

I agree it's a shame they don't fix it for free considering that the displays don't last that long, having an average life span of 8 to 10 years. I believe most owners would have expected more reliable displays with longer life span considering it's not exactly cheap to replace or restore the display to original condition.

17. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I've no idea, I can't see because the display is too dim :)

eevo1969, Darren and Faux like this.
  18. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

@seagull do you know what streaming boards it has? 96k or 192k? If you were to put it in for an upgrade to the boards, they'd fix the screen as part of this. I did this with my Qute and it was certainly cheaper than just having the screen replaced.

19. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

This doesn't sound like the common failure which is through having it on (often) permanently. I used to have mine set to the clock permanently and that's what caused the problem. Since I got the screen replaced I set it to go off asap (as suggested by Olsen above).

20. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

The app will tell you.