advertisement

Naim clones on Ebay

quickie

pfm Member
I wonder what these are like ?

£32 inc P+P for the pair seems reasonable.

nap140a.jpg

The guy sold 10 pairs pretty quickly first time around. Hope we get some feedback soon, it looks interesting.

Does look nicely made, and I cant argue with the cost :)
However, im no exprt but they look more like NAP 90 than the bigger boards?

Couldn't resist at that price.
Ordered a pair last week.
Have an old Expo trafo looking for work.
Only one primary and will try splitting power to two bridge rectifiers just like the original 140.

Yeah, I think we all realise they are kits, but for £32 delivered they could be a decent deal with a little effort.

I didnt think they were the full boards as the layout is more compact, however looking at them now the do look like the 140/180/250 boards.

Who knows if the compact layout and choice of component will make an improvement, it certainly will be a difference. Certainly the NCC200 boards have the right differences for example so it can be done.

The guy informs me they should be run on 25 - 0 - 25 Trannie 200VA and are rated 70W per board, of course those are his guide figures. If you had an old box,trannie and could get together some caps, you could put together an amp for £100, eek!

NOTE, they are not really a Naim clone as such, just similar because the original genius behind all of these is a 1970's RCA design, though certain masters have added extra touches of magic over the years to refine the design.

I might look at getting a batch delivered ...

Yeah, I think we all realise they are kits, but for £32 delivered they could be a decent deal with a little effort.

.................. ...

I wasn't inferring they were not good value but noticed that some were posting that they were nicely made, which of course is only relevant if YOU make them nicely too :)

I have two older NAP 90s, one dead.., but fine cases and transformers.

Would these modules be able to rejuvenate these into 140s? What other parts would I need?

Obviously I am a complete novice wielding a soldering iron inside a naim case, so would need assurances from the sages on this list that it could be done fairly simply.

Thanks -

Colin

Not 140s exactly, the NAP140 power supply is more sophisticated, but you have the basis of a nice pair of "140'ish" monoblocks which would somewhat overcome that. Should sound pretty good too.

They'd probably be very similar to the 110 based monoblocks that I tried - which turned out nice - but not nice enough to part with my 135s!

Very interesting, but what else to add to make a compete pair of mono blocks apart from the casings, transformers, smooting caps?

Do they need power regulators? If yes then that is beyond be limited DIT experience.........

advertisement

Back