advertisement

Naim CDX2 still a good CD player?

_webwasher

pfm Member
A CDX2 spins my CDs from time to time. I know that xps improves its performance but want to keep it a one box player. As it is quite bulky I’m thinking about something new.

Is CDX2 still up to date, how does this machine compare to current players? Thanks for reading.

IMHO, still a VERY good player even compared with today’s standards and no need of an external DAC as the one inside this machine is very good.
As for an external power supply, all the tests I personally did with any Naim CD player showed me it was not worth it as it didn’t bring a huge improvement.
Adding an Hicap on a Supernait though really brings it to another level.
But eh, this is my personal opinion and I'm a rock and jazz music listener so I don’t need the pin point soundstage you would require for large classical orchestra so good enough for me.

A CDX2 is head and shoulders above most other CD players out there, that is if you value upfront Prat.
For many its too analytical.
I've had my old CDX (but fresh serviced) up against a costly Moon CD player, well build but boring sound compared to Naim.
Not sure Naim can support them players for long though.

I'd say competition is Rega Saturn/R (really good) and Apollo (latest edition) more pleasing to ear, more friendly, its a matter of taste and final setup/kit really.
Rega support their players, and not necessary done inside UK (big advantage for us EU users)

Another dark horse could be Roksan latest players, indeed the Blak.

I use a CDX2 for free Jazz and classical music along with a CDX2.2. The 2.2 has a more pure sound but a little less punch than the 2. Classical music is well handled with precise images with both players. I had CD platter problems with the 2.2 from 2016 but my 2006 2 has been reliable and still works fine. I fixed the 2.2 but I suspect that Naim will soon not support either player. @PerF sums up my feelings at present but both Naims would have to fail before I revisit my CD front end.

Had an original from release until earlier this year. Real PRaT but weak on accurate timbre. Good competent player as a stand-alone but adding the XPS2 is a huge leap. An entirely different machine with the power supply. Too forward and aggressive for some but match it well and it’s a joy.

A CDX2 spins my CDs from time to time. I know that xps improves its performance but want to keep it a one box player. As it is quite bulky I’m thinking about something new.

Is CDX2 still up to date, how does this machine compare to current players? Thanks for reading.

Unless you want to spend a lot of money I don't think you'll find much better, a great spinner of the silver discs is the CDX2... keep and enjoy.

CDX2 is a very fine CD player only bettered by the CDS 2 and 3 players unfortunately Naim does not have laser mechs for any of these CD players. I have purchased a Cyrus CDI XR. Comparable to the CDX in prat but no comparison to my CDS3. Other options available but at a much greater price.

Not a CDX2 but I had CDX/XPS. In terms of scale and dynamics I reckon it is probably the best player I've had at home. I just couldn't get on with it though as it sounded too 'digital' and separated things into elements rather than jelling them together into music.

I bought a Saturn-R and have no desire to change it. It's the first CD player I've had which I find totally satisfying. I later ended up running it through a separate Rega DAC which gives an improvement in dynamics and detail. It's the most analogue CD player I've heard without sacrificing involvement, which a lot of smooth players do.

There's a lot to be said for the Naim 16 bit players (CDS1 and mk1 CDI) and doing the recommended improvements to the power supplies around the DAC. I even added a Hicap to my CDI and you've have to go a long way to beat it now. Plus donor parts are in plentiful supply still.

There's a lot to be said for the Naim 16 bit players (CDS1 and mk1 CDI) and doing the recommended improvements to the power supplies around the DAC. I even added a Hicap to my CDI and you've have to go a long way to beat it now. Plus donor parts are in plentiful supply still.

I parted with both a Cdi, CD2 and CDS back then, due to spares went scarce.
They were cool players, had I known they could be supported decades afterwards I'd have kept some of them, at least the CDi.

The only Naim CD players I didn't like were the entry level 5i range.

Absolutely love mine, it's been a stunning disc-spinner in the 7 or 8 years I've owned it, and plan to retain it until it gives up the ghost which I hope will be many years yet. One problem, however, is that it's stopped 'recognising' HDCD discs - I'm not entirely sure if that's just down to a failed bulb, or if the HDCD tech has failed. Maybe one day I'll try and get it looked at.

Not an itch I’d recommend you scratch.

never did get the night and day effects of adding power supplies to Naim CDPs that
many seemed to get.

.sjb

I tried a 555PS with my CDX2 and I found it a significant change as it seemed to drop the noise floor a huge amount but for me at least I thought it unbalanced the presentation and not worth the 5k outlay at the time.

I tried a 555PS with my CDX2 and I found it a significant change as it seemed to drop the noise floor a huge amount but for me at least I thought it unbalanced the presentation and not worth the 5k outlay at the time.

Contrary to @Sloop John B i have no difficulty hearing what the power supplies bring to the table and that’s especially true of adding an XPS2 to a CDX2. However, I rebuffed all attempts of my then dealer to sell me a 555PS as it absolutely highlighted the weaknesses of the CDX2 rather than it’s strengths.

Quite an interesting thread currently on the green place, where staff comment on non-available spares.
Soon to be doorsteps, really a pity.

Reading this I'm happy to have chosen Rega, these are ongoing supported and very good players too.

Quite an interesting thread currently on the green place, where staff comment on non-available spares.
Soon to be doorsteps, really a pity.

Reading this I'm happy to have chosen Rega, these are ongoing supported and very good players too.

It’s largely a false equivalence though. If you read the forum regularly then the number of threads about CDPs which require a mech replacement in any one year can usually be counted on one hand. Certainly I recently I sold my CDX2 after 20 years without a single issue. Compare that to Rega where the return rate is higher in some notable areas. So, yeah, they’d be needing those spares whereas few Naim CDP owners do.

It’s largely a false equivalence though. If you read the forum regularly then the number of threads about CDPs which require a mech replacement in any one year can usually be counted on one hand. Certainly I recently I sold my CDX2 after 20 years without a single issue. Compare that to Rega where the return rate is higher in some notable areas. So, yeah, they’d be needing those spares whereas few Naim CDP owners do.

Not false IMO

Plenty of Naim players will be obsolete in very soon future, CDS3, CDS2, CDX2 for example, a real pity.
I would have kept my Linn and Naim CD-players if they had managed to buy-in enough parts for future use.

sidenote.., Linn support were catastrophic IME, much more worse than Naim.., Ikemi, Karik, Numerik even CD12, Kairn/Klout/Kaber, they cared not for their customers other than saying buy new (Fock them), no support or help at all, from that day I no longer wanted to own anything Linn.

Its doesn't really bother me with Rega higher return rate, they can, and will always help, usually even for free, they have done my Apollos with no charge, even an old Saturn at very reasonable expenses.
Customer support means everything for expensive boxes IMO, I would never have purchased the Isis if not supported - so many still buy s/h CDS3, CDX2 etc with no future support - silly.

There are at least 20 Naim CD owners that have players that cannot be serviced so I feel it is a major problem. I would have been reluctant to buy my CDS3 if I knew it could not be supported after 10-11 years. I have an active all Naim system and now have a Cyrus CDI XR. Not equal to Naim but pretty good. Naim service otherwise has been stellar but they dropped the ball on CD players. Value of all their CD players has taken a hit as a result. Even the most loyal customers will not purchase a Naim CD new or used now.

advertisement

Back